Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How Often..

2K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  GOOSEKILLER 
#1 ·
Do you 6.0 guys clean (if its a reusable style air filter) or replace your OEM air filter.

Such as what amount of miles, do you change or clean it at every oil change,etc, etc..

just looking to what the owners do as far as air filter maintenance.

#3 ·
I clean mine with high pressure air at about 20k and change it at about 45k (I drive on highway only). but it's a pain in the azz to put that thing back!!!

#5 ·
but it's a pain in the azz to put that thing back!!!
x2 on this, guess the darn thing works but a pita to deal with for sure.

Your supposed to clean or replace the air filters on these things...:lookaround:

I'm waiting to get an S&B or Airaid mainly just so I don't have to mess with the factory filter :mad: Then I am guessing a cleaning every other oil change or so.

#6 ·
On a 6.0 or 7.3 AIS, I weigh the filter.

EDIT: That is for stock or aftermarket. On the stock 6.0 or AIS, I'll replace them when the filter gains about 4lbs. Around this time, I notice a slight drop in MPG's. For Aftermarket, it's about the same.. but it's a judgment call due to different styles/brands/quality.

#8 ·
If it looks dirty, I clean it! That would be about every 10k

#9 ·
i run the stock intake and run down DUSTY gravel to get home (about 250 miles) and i put on 70,000 kms and changed it oncein between. the filter minder was not even moving. i did bang it on the ground every other oil change though to get the bugs out.
clarence

#11 ·
I clean my AFE every 10k, just bought a prefilter last week, got tired of picking out dead bugs between the pleats. And it looks coolLOL

#14 ·
Anyone have an S&B for the 6.0 and if so how often are you guys changing it? Adam i guess i need to order the cleaning kit for S&B from you somteime

#17 ·
I have the AFE stage I kit. Been in the truck since about 10K.. I have cleaned it 3 times since then (6 yrs and now have 100K on it), the last time was probably a year ago.. Two of those times, it really didn't need cleaned, I just had it out for other projects so I cleaned it while it was out...

#23 ·
Get this...my 6.0 has 167,xxx miles as of today. The oem air filter has been replaced once, which was rough 100k ago. I honestly never think about it. The truck isn't low on power, doesn't smoke, and boost is the same as it always has been. I want to replace it and have been meaning to, but it just doesn't do anything to remind me. 99.9% of my miles are on the road, and a lot of that is interstate, so maybe it just doesn't get very dirty.

Justin

#24 ·
I change OEM filters at the OEM interval for my driving it's overkill for a DD truck. I could probally go 60K+ on changes if I went by the way the filter looks. I have only had one instance of the filter minder moving and that was on my '04, I don't recall the miles on the filter.

If you mod the intake housing the time to remove the OEM filter is like MAYBE 5 mins. It will pull hot air from the engine compartment but that's only when the truck is sitting still. I can pull the IAT data with my SCT to back up my facts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.