Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Twins, DD 600HP again. GTP38r and?????

8K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
I didnt want to derail HRT's injector thread any further.

So I have a 38r. Obviously I need head studs and some bigger injectors. I've read here many times that a GT45 is a good compliment to the 38r. Will that combo make a good streetable 600HP truck and what size injectors/type? Should I wait to see what the future holds for injectors?

#2 ·
I didnt want to derail HRT's injector thread any further.

So I have a 38r. Obviously I need head studs and some bigger injectors. I've read here many times that a GT45 is a good compliment to the 38r. Will that combo make a good streetable 600HP truck and what size injectors/type? Should I wait to see what the future holds for injectors?
Copy what Charles has done to his truck, GT47 and a 38R, and Swamps injectors and tuning.

....or copy what DI did for Thuglike's truck, with DP-Tuner.

Both are over 600hp, and are daily drivers. I would start there.

#47 ·
Thug and I have very similar setups IE: Amount of fuel/Big turbo's... Towing at sea level is not too bad in the lower programs and when you've got the turbo lit... it tows well, just steady hazes and isn't great for fuel mileage. At 9,000 feet... I don't think a big single is an option for 600hp and towing.

That is exactly my criteria, it must be a well mannered DD that can tow heavy. No lag, no heat. Otherwise I'm just not interested. I want something that will run well at lower HP levels of tuning.
I think you're asking for a bit much lol. I seriously think at that altitude, 600 hp is only attainable on twins with the ability to tow. Maybe lower your HP goals? 450hp?

I think the smallest housing hey have for a 38r is the 1.0A/R
.84 stock housing works. Correction, fits.

#4 ·
It would be wise to add rods,girdle, and a BTS just for starters if you are shooting for a 600hp DD just for a little extra insurance.
What first stage are you running? What power? You sort of forgot to clarify that before. I think that would help give a certain amount of weight to your posts with as grandiose as I would expect your setup to be given your last few statements about it.

#13 ·
i know a 38r has a 66 inducer but whats the exducer on the comp wheel?

#14 ·
Why not a big single? I suppose if you're gonna do lots of towing thats out of the question.

I'm going for 600+whp DD with a large single, but i rarely tow.

I'll tell you in a few weeks how it goes.

I would AT LEAST get a transmission that can take the power and AT LEAST studs, springs and pushrods before you toss more fuel at it.

#15 ·
Why not a big single? I suppose if you're gonna do lots of towing thats out of the question.
That is exactly my criteria, it must be a well mannered DD that can tow heavy. No lag, no heat. Otherwise I'm just not interested. I want something that will run well at lower HP levels of tuning.

#26 ·
has anyone tryed a wastegated turbo off of a 11.1 or 12.7 detroit, i think they are gt42's. at work we have some trucks with wastegated and non wastegated turbos 11.1L detroits, the wastegated truck is much stronger on the low rpm's but both are about the same on mid-top end. if anyone wants to look into it i can probally get some part numbers off the turbos.

#38 ·
Charles, I know you are around, why the silence? Dost thou dainst it beneath thyself to risk repeating thyself? Oh, and tell Brookie Happy Birthday.

#45 ·
I'm thinking of dropping the A/R on my 38r, but I already have exh temp issues.

#49 ·
Frank you might be interested in some tuning tweaks that were worked on over Loveland Pass and Eisenhower recently.

#50 ·
I talked to Curtis today and I am very interested. I figured I'd give Jody a call next week. I'm way overdue sending him an e-mail with observations and details for a new round of tunes, but it seems that actually worked out. I was hoping to be there, but it didnt work out. Sounds like you all had a good time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.