Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Blew a HG!... Upgrade time?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Cat_Rebel 
#1 ·
Well when acclerating hard something gave out the other day. Power/boost isntantly dropped and white smoke immedity poured out the exhaust. It was like I hit the brakes when acclerating. Lots of white smoke came out.

And my luck would have it that it happened when I was on a road trip and had 4 other people in my truck full of gear and no where near close to home!! It was a longggg tow truck ride home.

1 Now would this is probaly a blown head gasket(s)?????
It idled fine and i reved it to see if it was an injector that dropped but seemed normal, its only ran for about 5 seconds before I shut it off.

2 If it turns out to be a headgasket... I may as well upgrade...

Im thinking ARP studs and OEM headgaskets.

Is there any benifits to going to a cometic HG?
Or is a stock replacement gasket good enough?
Should I port the exhaust ports on the heads?

See less See more
#2 ·
have you checked your water level? you will be losing water if it is a hg. Sounds like it could be a turbo crapped out.

#4 ·
If you still have coolant in the res and its not pushing out while the truck is running, my guess would be the turbo took a crap.

There is a video of a turbo blowing somewhere, white smoke POURED out the stack, and made some interesting noises as well.

I sent you a PM reguarding my h2e as well..

#5 ·
I guess it would be quite oblivious if i were to take the intake tube for the compressor housing off and see if i could move the impeller??? Or could a blown turbo still have good shaft play?

#6 ·
If its blown, its blown. You'll know it when you see it and feel it.

Have you checked the coolant level? If you blew a HG and as much white smoke came out as you said, it would be pretty low on coolant. Also, start it up and pop the cap off the res. If it pushes out or smells like exhaust, then you got some problems. If not, i would say your HG is OK.

#11 ·
Well I took the i intake boot off the turbo.

The compressor impeller has no shaft movement, and spins freely.... But when I look at the hot side- There seems to be a decent amount of raw black oil leaking from the downpipe to turbo connection....

Hopefully its the turbo.... Ill get a H2E probaly.

#12 ·
if it turns out to be a headgasket, research the probablility of rod failure after a head gasket failure, trust me, its a pain in the ass and while you're fixing things, itd be nice to put some rods in before you have to buy a shortblock. if it turns out to be a turbo, get a modded h2e, dont waste your time with a stock one, youll just switch it out sooner than later anyways

#14 ·
Why is that?

I just put another stock turbo on. Its used but its still in good working condition...

took the truck for a test a few hours ago.....
Anways now when I hammer it (happened to be raining when I did this) the tires break out (just like before) but it seems once in boost white smoke starts blowing out the exhaust pipe....

The black smoke instantly turns into a big cloud of white once in boost...

Did I happen to blow both turbo and headgasket(s)??

Turbo was defferntly blown, lots of shaft movement and seal was gone.
As soon as the turbo makes boost and rpms

#15 ·
That cylinder likely took a big gulp of water, and since water doesn't compress very well it probably weakened that rod. I remember a few years back there seemed to be a trend where people who had blown head gaskets seemed to have problems throwing rods out of the block not too long afterwords.

Justin

#19 ·
Usually the easiest way to tell is like they said check your coolant level. The other thing if your seeing oil out your exhaust you blew the turbo. When your seeing white smoke smell it, if it's sweet like antifreeze prob a head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.