Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

water to air innercooler

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  389SixPack 
#1 ·
Are there any larger trucks equipped with theys factory? Also whats the best brands to buy and where.

Ps yes its a comp truck.

#5 ·
They do, I guess i missed that one......??? :doh: Combination????

Before you get all too excited about what Caterpillar uses. They use the 190* engine coolant to cool the internal radiator for the air-to-"coolant" coolers.

#7 ·
Best option is to have a completely seperate circuit when using 'water'. If sized correctly (flow rate on pump and radiator) you can get the water temp within 5-8F of ambient. Like Justin said 190F water to cool the charged air is nothing to get excited about. And the only reason Cat does it is because the charge air coming off of the turbos is so GD hot that it will melt or soften the aluminum of an air-to-air cooler.

#8 ·
the new big bore international engines run 2 of them instead of an air to air.
one for the high pressure charger and one for the low.

#10 ·
Anyone ever try putting water misters in front of the I/C to use evaporation cooling to help cool the charge?

#11 ·
you can get that as an option on subaru wrx and sti

dont know how well it would work i think i would be shootin it right into the motor before doing that, just think it would take a susbstantial amount of water to be worth it

ive seen it on pullers and drag rigs, but they use co2

#14 ·
I just want to build one on a budget. Since a after market air-air cooler is around 1200+. I thought I could get the better end of the deal and cheaper. What is good size to use on my puller?
If you're pulling, plumb it thru a rad, then to the bed, and thru a heater core in an ice chest, then back to CAC. Before each pull, pack it with enough water to cover core and fill the rest with ice. Cool the charge air down to 32 degrees. I know guys who put prop glycol, ice and dry ice in cooler, and get the flowing coolant down to 0-10 deg too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.