Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

smells like moth balls

5K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  bowtiekilla21 
#1 ·
my truck when i blow smoke smells like moth balls does that make any sence to anyone????:mad:

also i got a whining noise and its now a pulley just replaced both and water pump is tight for now....... but the noice is in that general area any idea where i should look next......??? :confused:

i go out to start my truck and for the 4th morning in a row and she wont start on the first glow....... second glow starts right up and nothing but a thick grayish smoke??????? :confused::mad:

sorry for all the questions guys!!!!!!! thanks u for all ur in put tho:bowfast::ford:

#4 ·
yes when i blow black smoke it smells like crap lol...... id rather smell the glorious diesel fuel smell

video down loading

#7 ·
wow.. that sound diff does not sound good.. but i am curious also to what that noise is

#10 ·
27 to 30 psi???? are you having a programmer hooked up or is it stock??
Because a Ford mech. told me the turbo is limited to 28 psi, so far as i know.
But it sounds real strange there is no whistle to hear nothing just kind of grinding.

#16 ·
the turbo whistle is the loudest thing in my truck LOL and im running a tune so the last time i checked to see what boost i was building at hard excel. was 29 psi...... at the most... :ford:

#12 ·
Any issues with the power steering pump at all? Sounds like something else than the turbo.

#13 ·
I had a similar noise along time ago, and it was the egr valve sticking open. It does not matter if it is "turned off" with your tunes, mine was, as it just reduces the duty cycle of the egr valve, it does not shut it off completely.

#18 ·
what year is your truck? do you have a 6.0?

#19 ·
Its your turbo, mine started makeing that noise, then when i would drive it sounded like a supercharger whine, boost was the same and everything was good, except the turbo!Mine went out at around 50k miles

#20 ·
and for your mothballs i smell the same thing but to me it smells like old peoples house!

#23 ·
LOLLOLLOL

#22 ·
That is a wierd sound..I don't think it's turbo..Whatever is making the sound seems to be really tight to motor RPM..I'd check all your pulleys/accys on the serp belt..

Have you tried making the same type of video while brake boosting? You may be able to hear the turbo working seperately and then you can rule it out..

#24 ·
okay new video will come today at some piont and also im gunna take the belt of and do a cold start to rule out anything the belt does drive

#25 ·
sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.