Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TOWING IN 4TH GEAR???

662 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  teamroper60 
#1 ·
HI GUYS
I HAVE A 04 F350 CREW CAB DUALLY WITH THE 5SPEED AUTO 4X4 I SOMETIMES TOW MY 30FT GOOSENECK WITH TRACTORS AND WOULD LIKE TO TOW IN 4TH GEAR BUT THE COLUNM SHIFTER WILL ONLY LET ME PULL IT DOWN INTO 3RD GEAR NOT 4TH GEAR BECAUSE I BELIEVE THE TRANNY SHIFTS TWICE 4TH AND 5TH GEAR IN THE (OD) SHIFT POSTION. ANY IDEAS?? THANKS AGAIN JOHN

04 F350 XLT CC DUALLY 4X4 AUTO 4.10 GEARS
06 FRONT END
90HP INJECTORS - SCT TUNING BY ERIC - MODIFIED VG TURBO - 4'' MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST- COLD AIR KIT-ARP STUDS

#2 ·
To my knowledge, other than getting a custom tune written for that purpose, I don't think you can lockout OD.

Why would you want to tow in 4th anyway?? Your mileage would suck.. Not to mention this tranny is a damn good one for towing... Not sure what the weight of your load is but I tow a 15K 5er and l have never had a problem maintaining speed, having the trans hunt for gears, or any of the problems that were associated with transmissions from years past... I just put it in Tow/Haul and take off....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.