Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

how much of a pain is it do rebuild injectors

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Deputydog 
#1 ·
im curios about the diy injectors from rosewood how big of a deal is it to rebuild them

#3 ·
IMO You are better off having an injector builder like Nate at Unlimited or Swamps or even Jim do them. That way the get flow benched and you know they are done right. Its worth the piece and mind to me.

#4 ·
The most important part of disassembling an injector IMO is to do it in an absolutely spotless environment. The best thing to do is to clear off your work bench and lay down a big towel or a blanket and work on top of that. When I did my DIY's like 1.5 years ago, I make the mistake of not putting down a blanket to work on and I was face first on the floor of the shop for over an hour searching for a little steel ball that I dropped out of carelessness and it rolled across thew shop. I finally found it, but it was all avoidable.

If you're going to just tear down the injectors and swap some parts and reassemble them like the DIY instructions call to do, its not very hard. The first injector will take the longest to do, but they will start going quickly after that. I don't suggest drinking for injector work though, there are WAYYY too many parts inside there to get yourself confused as to where they go or which side goes up/down.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Many mix the terms 'overhaul' and 'rebuild'.
It's fairly easy to overhaul a 7.3 injector, but can be quite complicated to rebuild them and get proper tolerances if they are worn. It's entirely possible for the DIY'er, just more complicated.

And keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Paying extra to have a shop build and test them might actually be worth it in the end.

#6 ·
I rebuilt some injectors with Jim's kit. I didn't think it was bad at all to do. Like mentioned above, a nice clean work area is important. Each injector took me about 20 mins to do.

Probably worth the extra money to have Jim do it for you. Here is a breakdown on all the little parts inside an powerstroke injector. Once you see it, you'll understand why you might want to have Jim build them.

#7 ·
hollly jesus ok how much does someone charge to build them then that is a rediculous amount of little parts and i hate little parts. i do suspensions and stuff like that i like workin with the big stuff

#9 ·
Ok Deputydog I have a question for you on the disassembly of the injector... how do you get the body separated from the cap? I can find nothing that keeps them together.. are they theaded?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.