Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

05 e450 cold motor lugging issue

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  outlaw 4017 
#1 ·
My fire station has this POS 05 e450 6.0l ambulance. It has been into the dealer multiple of times and they say nothing is wrong. Here is the problem, when the motor is cold it won't take the throttle response. Meaning if you start giving it gas the truck start lugging like it has a horribly clogged fuel filter or an injector is trashed. The truck will slowly get up to speed, and you have to be light on the throttle or it will lug. IF you want the tranny to shift you have to let off the throttle and slowly give it gas again for it to shift. This occurs every time the motor is cold until warm. Once the motor is in operating temps, the truck runs great and has no lugging issues or shifting problems.

60k on the odometer and no idiot lights are on.

Anyone have any ideas since no one has a clue what could be going on.

The only thing the dealership found was a jewel plastic bag in the turbo. Dont ask how it got in their because no one knows.

#3 ·
It idles fine, i'll see on tuesday if I can pull some codes off of it. Whats weird is when your at operating temp, there are no issues.

#5 ·
I guess it came back from the shop not to long ago with new ICP, EGR, turbo work, catalitic, injectors. There is probably some more im missing but, no one has a clue why that occurs.

#6 ·
Mine does that same thing when its cold, ill start it and let it run for ab 10minutes and its fine. do you plug it in?

#8 ·
The truck is in a heated bay and its also 85+ degrees outside. We do not plug it in. Seems like were just going to have to let it run in the morning to get it ready for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.