Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How loud are hybrids compared to stock injectors?

11K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  John_DeereGreen 
#1 ·
At idle, during acceleration, and at highway speeds. Also, with a new turbo, what would mpg be like if my current configuration gives 18.5-19.5 on the highway? Thanks.

#3 ·
My hybrids are just as quite as my truck was b4. But I did get different tuning when I got them so that might play a big roll in it.

It does idle a little different but I like the way it sounds. Its got a low deep tone to it.

#8 ·
Matt, hybrids are considered single shots? Are those essentially OBS style injectors? Also when you say dynamat the firewall, are talking about in the engine compartment? I ask because the factory already has a lot of matting on the interior. Removing the existing one in the interior to upgrade looked like a nightmare. I already have it on the whole floor, roof and doors. I stopped at the firewall because it had some and it had all the cut outs for the grommets, and other parts.
Also, as a tuner, what will the mpg be like?
Thanks.

#14 ·
Yes hybrids are a single shot injector. Hybrids can get quiet because if you don't raise the ICP to compensate for the 5:1 vs 7:1 ratio you have less injection pressure and it is like pulling timing out of the motor. The injectors themselves are not what is making more noise, it is the sound of the diesel combustion process with a single shot of fuel vs a split shot. If you want to hear quiet combustion, listen to a 6.4 with its multiple injection events.

On the dynamat, I did a truck a while back where I pulled off the factory stuff and put dynamat on then the factory mat back on top.

Any little hole in the firewall (like1/4 inch) will let in more noise than you think so make sure all of your holes are plugged.

#12 ·
Hybrids shure as hell should be louder since you will be making approx. 150 more hp than the stock injectors at WOT LOL

#13 ·

A couple videos...

#24 ·

"24.5k load on race setting and Turbonetics BB"......so if your 3/4 ton pick up truck weighs minimum 6k lbs....your grossing over 30k?? In the race setting?:doh: Wonder where your engine troubles come from.:pointlaugh:

My singles have a little more chunky idle. I don't even hear the injectors on the highway...BB Garrett has something to do with that....also the nice exhaust growl.

Only time I really hear the "injectors" is when I lug the engine by letting the clutch out a little to quickly.

#19 ·
I think my truck became a bit quieter when i installed hybrids.... although my truck was off the road for 2 weeks waiting for them.

They did change the way it idles... as other people have said here-it does have a slight lobe to it.

#20 ·
I started the thread so don't feel too bad about the slight derail, so.... anybody have pics of just the firewall being dampened? I've done everything but the firewall. Thanks.

#25 ·
Yes the Hybrids are quite a bit louder. I have Davids tunes, and in the Extreme mode my truck lopes like a 514 BB. It sounds awsome. I did the same as Matt suggested when I installed the Hybrids. I used Fat Mat on the firewall, and on the inside and outside of all four doors. It helped alot. If you look behinde the turbo you can see some bolts sticking out into the engine compartment. I formed some Aluminum sheating to the Firewall, Drilled out some holes to match the bolts in firewall and used those to attach the Aluminum Plates I made. It kept the FatMat in place and made an extra heat barrier as well.:ford:

#27 ·
How did you do the interior firewall and do you have any pics?

#30 ·
sorry,:( I don't have picture's of the Fatmat install. All I did, is install it over the factory mat that was already in place in the (ENGINE BAY). I used a blow torch to heat it up, and work it into the crevaces. It also adheres much better this way.
(A word of Caution when useing a blow torch to do this, DONOT over heat the matting. It can catch on fire. Use common sense here. Keep good distance and keep the Tourch moving, heating evenly. If its way to hot to the touch, your over heating the mat).
I used the (FatMat) because its alittle thicker than Dyna Mat as well. Dyna Mat might offer different thickness material by now, I don't know. But I did have some trouble in the begining with the mat peeling off of the Firewall, do in part to the heat from the motor. This is why I used a blow torch to reheat the mat, then using the wheel that comes with the FatMat when you order it, working it into position. Then I used the Aluminum plates I made, over the Mat to hold it in place. I bought enough Mat to do my entire cab as well. I just haven't had the time to get to it. From what I understand this will make all the difference. Also if you do decide to do this, and more so in the tight areas, do it in sections. Don't cut and try to install a whole piece on the firewall (Engine Bay) side. I used 3 sections here with about 1-2" overlap. Same goes for the inside of the doors. Take your measurements and Cut 2 sections leaving enough for some overlap. Roll them up like a set of blue prints. Working them thru the acess hole in the door. Then Peel the paper on one corner, and work across the top, peeling and pressing and unrolling as you go. Install the second or bottom piece much the same but with some overlap. If you find the bottom section is too long, it doesnt' matter. Just peel the paper and finish the instal letting it run wild on the bottom of the door. OH, if you have big forearms, wear a long sleeve shirt for the door install. You'll find that the little acces hole on the doors will tear up your forearms as you work the mat into position. You won't get a second chance to remove the mat if you find an air bubble or you find that it's not straight. You won't be able to peel it off. So try to have patience and take your time here. Sorry for the long post guys.:ford:

#35 ·
Your a fuking retard... GVW, Thats total weight retard, Truck and trailer... Can you not see the fricking gauge? its below 1200*... Sounds like your another IDE...

How many others on here tow in there race setting... Seems there was just a thread about that today...

Sorry....didn't see the "GVW" too quick to poke fun at ya.;) To me "load" is what is being towed.....there is a difference between GVW and GCVWR....if you have too much pin weight towing a fiver you can be over on GVW and legal on GCVWR.:pointlaugh: Ask a OTR driver that has to distribute their load.;)

Just because all your gauges read fine doesn't mean everything is fine....obviously...you've smoked 2 engines. Maybe Scan gauge will come out with a gauge that gives you the timing "value" in the tables and you'll think's all is well.

BTW...on the IDE....I build, set fuel delivery, and port closure(Start of Injection) on these types of items daily....suck on that.

To the OP.....don't let the noise be the deciding factor in choosing hybrids....biggest one is, can you afford to have an engine down if it goes BOOM.;)

#39 ·
Nope, so this is for the future only. I would have to change rods. With the current rods, I am stopping at the 80hp tune from Bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.