Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

detroit true trac

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  tbolt 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever broken a true trac? If so, with what setup?
I plan on going to 4.30's w/ true tracs front and rear. (315's, 35's 36's 37's-yes I run them all) Anyone else running that setup?

#2 ·
:popcorn::popcorn:I take it that no one has broke one of these??

#4 ·
I looked into it for my f-150 which had 37's on it and my local shop said they had some guys shred them when running larger tires, i believe they are for 35's and smaller ?

#5 ·
Some people can destroy anything. I guess it depends on how you are going to use it. If you thrash it with big tires sooner or later something is going to break. If not the diff it will be axles, etc. I have never had a rockcrawler with large tires but I have never broken one on the drag strip with any of my hotrods. If the stocker ever fails in my trk it will get a trutrac for sure. Just my $.02

#6 ·
Still, no broken ones. Thats a good thing!

#8 ·
I'm pretty hard on mine. I tow and accelerate hard and it holds up. I'm not in the high HP/TQ category, but I can feel it working while turning when the trailer is attached.

I only have 285/75s though.

#9 ·
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around either a truetrak or the old faithful Detriot. I spend most of the time on pavement, but when I do go off road, I put on the 40 boggers. Just concerned if thet Truetrak can hold up to these bigger tires. I'm at 300HP/600TQ right now. I live in FL so the roads are wet often and the wife must drive so I'm thinking the TrueTrak would have better "on road" driving characteristics for her to handle. Anyone? BTW, I've never driven a truck with a locker, so I'm blind here.

#11 ·
The trutrak is made by detroit. Same lockup just locks differently. The trutrak does not have springs. It has small gears in the case and a worm gear that, when 1 tries to spin , the small gears turn the worm gear into the cone and locks it. The more power you put to it the tighter it locks. On the street it acts like an open diff. No chatter or noise. I think it's the best out there if you are going to be on the street. And they are tough. The shock of launching a 3400lb car at the drags with a good horse under the hood will test them. I have never broke one.

#12 ·
Ive got one still fine after maximum abuse broke ring and pinion teeth plum off but the Detroit locker is fine it was a yukon 4.88 tru trac still good 6 yrs old with heavy meats and tons of powerbraking and towing 12k Metal Auto part Bronze Gear

#14 ·
Ive got one still fine after maximum abuse broke ring and pinion teeth plum off but the Detroit locker is fine it was a yukon 4.88 tru trac still good 6 yrs old with heavy meats and tons of powerbraking and towing 12k View attachment 7553
Ya man! Thats what I was looking for!!

im running 4.30 front rear with tru tracs switch between 38s and 37s now for 9 months so same setup you will break a u joint or something else like i have before those break
Thanks. Tons (literaly) of great info. I have the same setup on 2 diffrent broncos, and have broken everything but the detroits. Multiple times. I was wondering how they would hold up in a truck that weighs twice as much, with twice the torque. Now I know. Thanks again!

#13 ·
im running 4.30 front rear with tru tracs switch between 38s and 37s now for 9 months so same setup you will break a u joint or something else like i have before those break

#16 ·
You won't be dissapointed!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.