Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Parallel Tubos?

7K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  DppPower 
#1 ·
I under stand the basics. each bank feeding one charger. now what do you guys think about a system like this. Would like to here from charles LOL and see what he would have to say. just curiouse?

thanks steve-0:D

#4 ·
Yeah was thinking of running two S300 with work done to make them capatable. If you had plenty of fuel good exhaust flow (custom header's) and alot of head work done what would be the issue in this case. Keep in mind this will not be in a Daily driven truck competiotion only. What other things would get in the way?

thanks steve-0 :D

#7 ·
You may want to fix your spelling. Tubos?

#9 ·
yeah thanks for pointing that out for me ?:D

I had a thread on this a while back....
Actually there was an obs like that..thde deal was it was laggy as heck.
I even mentioned using a third turbo or supercharger to help it....
That idea seems to work quite well .

I still say it looks doable ..just hard.
And ultimatly I end up in quads to make it work.

Charles did have some good input though...especially pointing out my drawing was backwards...lol

I will have to find the link, lil dated material.
But will be nice to see someone figure it out for a normalish 7.3.
Im going to try it and see where it goes. if you dont mind I would like to see your drawings and see if they are similar to mine. Yeah I under stand about the pressure but hay you build boost on the line when pulling. I am not going to be on the street :D yeah I believe they will be laggy but what happens when you get past that lag:D

Thanks for the info keep it coming

steve-0

#8 ·
I had a thread on this a while back....
Actually there was an obs like that..thde deal was it was laggy as heck.
I even mentioned using a third turbo or supercharger to help it....
That idea seems to work quite well .

I still say it looks doable ..just hard.
And ultimatly I end up in quads to make it work.

Charles did have some good input though...especially pointing out my drawing was backwards...lol

I will have to find the link, lil dated material.
But will be nice to see someone figure it out for a normalish 7.3.

#12 ·
so you are strictly wanting to run just two turbos right? Well i see that its do able if you move alot of stuff from out of under the hood. Headers shouldnt be to hard to do since all you would be doin is turning them backwards to face the front of the engine. Also you could use a little nitrous or even compressed air to spool the turbos even a little faster at the line:D

You also got to think once it did light there is not goin to be alot of top end out of the truck. Turbos would spool to a certain point then that's it. I wouldnt plan on seein real high boost to be honest. But i think it will work pretty easily. Just would need to get the headers made and mock up turbos to get a better idea of what needs to be put where.

#13 ·
I under stand the basics. each bank feeding one charger. now what do you guys think about a system like this. Would like to here from charles LOL and see what he would have to say. just curiouse?

thanks steve-0:D
It seems to work well for Banks.... of course they use a little bit of NOS as well.

Attachments

#16 ·
well I got it from you but I like to think bigger ,see what it does and just thinking thats all you dont mind do you :D

what would you do about intercooling? well i guess with a competition-only truck you can get away without an intercooler... but you'd need nitrous to get the most out of your fuel probably cause of all that heat from non-intercooled turbos
yeah not running a intercooler as of now just wondering what this setup ( as big as im thinking) would work . no drugs for me

Gale banks is my idle!

thanks steve-0

#15 ·
what would you do about intercooling? well i guess with a competition-only truck you can get away without an intercooler... but you'd need nitrous to get the most out of your fuel probably cause of all that heat from non-intercooled turbos

#17 ·
There is a guy on TDG that did it on an OBS truck.Can't remember his name but there was a video of it running.I also think he is or was a vendor over there or had a shop somewhere.I think the video was lost when they had a server go down.He Had some tranny problems and it was laggy.I do believe he ripped it all off and went back to a single or compound set up.This was about 3-4 yrs ago maybe longer.

#18 ·
There is absolutely no point in this IMO. There will be no gain, and twice the headaches.

Each bank would have a charger sized for a 3.6 liter motor to even try to do what the stock one will do.

A big single is great on top end and simple, but laggy down low

Compounds are the best of both worlds if they are sized and gated properly.

#21 ·
How about two tinys, feeding a single large secondary.

Although parallel turbos do justify dual stacks.

#22 ·
My newest idea is turbos from a sprinter...feeding gt38rs or even stockers.
A gt38 is good for 250 to 500 more or less so on paper way more then a 7.3 can do.
I am hoping that that much air can clear some smoke. And the baby garrets can take car of lag.

Now pics were lame, basically based on a dodge setup, minus 2 cylinders then mirrored for the other bank. Move the batteries to frame rail using an izusu npr type tray, trim a little fender liner if needed. Plumbing would be slightly smaller due to single engine bank coverage.
But I was also thinking true dual exhuast including two 3" down pipes
The ic would be two custom units, a lil deeper and wider one over the other.

#24 ·
If sized right, I dont see where it would be any more, or less laggy than the stock one was. The smaller sized turbos I would think would spool pretty quick.
Run two small ones that spool really quick then wastegate them to keep pressure down, into a larger single for the final boost.

Feed them both into the intercooler via a two into one tube, then on to the final turbo before going into the intake.
We run parrallels at work on the bigger units. I would think you'll HAVE to have a crossover pipe (or a common intercooler) somewhere downstream of them to equalize the pressure between left and right. Probably on the exhaust side too to keep backpressure equal.

At least all of our stuff has them anyway.

#27 ·
Well localy, competition wise, you would be in either a show only, --no points class, or in the open classes with the multi charger cummins boys. If its comp only, I'd go with a big single thats already proven, or if it needs to be street friendly, then a smaller charger and nitrous. (if rules allow).
Heck with what you can make with a modded H2E it is still streetable, and makes a buttload more power than most people can use.

#28 ·
I know that H2E would be great for street/comp use , but im wanting something that sets me apart from others. Yeah the rules around here frown on n2o. if i compete in the open class then I would just p-pump the dang thing and keep the chargers on it. but it all comes down to how much money you have.

good input man

thanks steve-0

#29 ·
I think the triple setup would work really good. Also the twin setup you spoke of would work but would take some trial and error to find the sweet spot for them so they would light so you could pull in comp.

I think overall the triple setup would work awesome and you would still stand out. Say the twins you want to run and a modded H2E would be wicked:evil:evil

#31 ·
Run the two small 2-HY35's parallel to feed into the S300 if you already have that or a bigger turbo. Call it a 2 into 1 intake pipe.

That way you still running parallel turbos and you will also have enough air to clean up the fuel you have. And also i think it would be a awesome comp setup.

#32 ·
Ahh I see now im am not limited on space due to cowl hood and 3inch body lift I could make this work. But I think Im going to go ahead run the 2- HY-35 and see if I can spool and make some power. Then test on dyno and do more tuning to get the sweet spot on the 35's then step up and see what the s300 do. trial and error is going to take alot of time.

thanks steve-0

#33 ·
So you are going to run parallel small (hy 35) and then route all the exhaust into an s300?

The s300 will then become the high pressure, and you will have two atmosphere chargers?

I am lost, the S300 is not going to handle all the exhaust flow IMO. Gonna have to be a hella big wastegate around it.

The s300 is going to come on first so it will have to be the high pressure unit correct?

#35 ·
You talkin to me?

That would be me back when I first started getting more and more into the performance side of things. I had alot of fun with that project.:D

I had 300cc Hybrids at the time if I remember correctly and I ended up putting the .84 turbine housings on some time after those vids. Tony Wildman was doing my tuning at the time and after sending my chip back and forth to him 20+ times so he could try different tunes to try and get them to spool he finally got one that worked.

The last time the truck was together and ran with those turbos was when Tony got me the rite tune. The turbo was extremely laggy still but when they did finally light all hell broke loose including the tranny.

I cannot say for sure what the boost got upto but the one glance I made was 30psi+. I am sure a little shot of nitrous would have made these things spool a whole lot quicker and I had the NOS kit in the shop but I never got around to trying it out.

After the one time the turbo did light the tranny pretty much exploded and the truck would not move anymore. So the truck sat at the shop for while waiting to get enuff cash together for a BTS. I ended up having a guy offer to buy the truck but he wanted it back stock. So I tore eveything off and put it back stock and slapped a cheap tranny in it. Then the azz hole back out on me and I made a few changes to it and pulled it a few times with a single charger before I tore it down to build the engine.

I still have some of the main parts laying around that I had custom made at a machine shop to mount the turbos. It is funny that I found this thread today as I have been doing alot of thinking this past week about trying something like this again but adding a third turbo.

But that is just thoughts and I have no clue what I will do....;)
If I can remember monday you will have a phone call !
would like to know more input on your install.

Thanks alot steve-0

#36 ·
Are you intending to use a turbo on each side of the engine or are you going to make headers that will run cylinders 1-7-4-6 thru one turbo and 2-3-5-8 thru the other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.