Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

oil change

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  SuperDutyDon 
#1 ·
i am about due for a oil change n i was wondering what is good/cheap place to get the oil filters n what brand and what kind of oil do u guys run? links would b great! thanx josh

#2 ·
Wal-Mart sells Rotella T 15-40 and the motorcraft oil filters. It cost about $55 total for all the oil and the filter. I usually only put in 14 qts though.

The Fram filter is $1 less...

Before that I was running Amsoil 15-40 with their oil filter. Last time I got it, it was $155 for just the oil and the filter from a "hook-up". I just couldn't justify it anymore.

#3 ·
Motorcraft oil filter at Wal-Mart and Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40 synthetic, the oil will cost more, but 6.0's love this oil

#6 ·
last i checked at napa, it was 25 bucks a gallon, so 100 bucks for 4 gals that will cover your truck plus another 20 for a filter, 120 dollar oil change, but oil is the blood of your engine, so better make it good

#8 ·
RedRacer62 is that your truck on the cover of diesel power?

#14 ·
i get my filters at walmart and run scheaffers oil

#17 ·
I ran rotella.......I had injectors fail but I would blame it more on owners lack of knowledge of the importance of changing the oil early or adding a bypass to help keep it cleaner.

I tried mobil-1 TDT but went back to rotella this time to see how it does vs sythetics with the bypass.

Its all opinions and what people experience. I dont think there is an oil that is bad for the 6.0 , so long as you stick to the Specs, you just cant go 10k on an oil change without knowing if the oils is still good. I tried that when I got the truck and it was in the shop for injectors very shortly after. Dirty oil is no good for the injectors.

I would invest in a bypass system and your oil will remain super clean all the time.

#20 ·
The bypass filter filters the oil down to 1 micron which basically filters out all the particles that are abrasive to the engine internals. particles like metal or soot and carbon that gets into the oil.

depends on what you decide on for a bypass system.

the amsoil kit can be bought froma few guys on here. Raul of Stealth Automotive is a site sponsor and vendor on here

The oilguard and FS2500 can be bought directly from the websites.

http://www.oilguard.com

http://www.fs2500.com

There is more information on there sites about the function of the filter.

#21 ·
These are the results after the second oil change w/ Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40.
I previously used Schaeffer 9000 5W-40.

Miles on truck........48628
Miles on oil............5159
Oil......................Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40
Miscellaneous........Analysis was after second OCI w/ VPBE

Parameter............ National Average... UOA Results
Aluminum........................3......................4
Chromium........................1......................1
Iron...............................22.....................30
Copper............................3......................2
Lead...............................3......................3
Tin.................................1......................0
Molybdenum....................31.....................95
Nickel.............................0.......................1
Manganese......................0.......................0
Silver..............................0.......................0
Titanium..........................0............... .......0
Potassium........................4.......................1
Boron..............................33.....................98
Silicon.............................11.....................6
Sodium.............................3......................6
Calcuim..........................3103.................3115
Magnesium........................83...................192
Phosphorous...................1120..................1313
Zinc..............................1288..................1505
Barium..............................2.......................0

SUS vis at 210 F............65 to 76.............64.2
cSt at 100 C................11.6-14.8............11.4
Flashpoint.......................>410.................415
Fuel...............................<2 %...............<0.5
Antifreeze.........................0%.....................0
Water (Karl Fischer)..........<0.1 %...............0
Insolubles........................<0.8..................0.2
TBN..................................>1..................8.6

Bottom line - I am very pleased w/ the results. I may go 7500 miles on the next change just to see what happens w/ the viscosity.

BTW - I also have been on the forums for a long time and I have seen MANY people using Rotella T 5W40 w/ no problems - folks that now have 100k + miles. I will say that I have not been paying attention to the Rotella 15W40 posts.

#24 ·
I went 12K on my first use of Amsoil and the Oil analysis said to keep using, but I didn't feel comfortable anymore. I since have just been using Rotella and changing at 5k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.