Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Aftermarket Brakes?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  cntryboy17 
#1 ·
Looking for information on cryofrozen rotors and slotted vs. drilled for the 2002 F-250 SD 4x4. I know there is ART and Frozenrotor out there. Any others worthy of consideration? Any comments as to who/what is better?

#2 ·
Im not sure what brand is best but i put a set of Irotors off of ebay on my truck and they bite really good.After i ordered mine i read on here not to put Drilled/slotted on becouse the holes will eventualy crack so they just recomend slotted.Ill just keep a close eye on mine and if they start to fail most people have powerslots so ill just get a set of those.

#4 ·
Whats wrong with factory brakes? I had over 80k on the original set. All on 35"-37" tires. When it came time to change, I went back to OEM. I now have over 140k on. Still the original rotors. And yes I tow with it. (32' tri axe gooseneck) Come to think of it , I have changed the heads on my 6. uhoh more than I have changed the brakes!:eek:

#6 ·
knock on wood i bought the truck with 80k on it and i have 120k on it now still same set of brakes

#8 ·
hmm well thats good to know about the powerslots. I changed mine becouse they were warped and so far im really impressed with the Irotors they gave me much better stopping power and for 160bucks including ceramic pads i thought it was a good deal.

#9 ·
stay away from drilled. Dimpled and slotted are fine, but drilled will crack. Had them on my mustang and they started to get hair line cracks on every drilled hole.

Imagine what will happen on a truck that weights 7500+ and/or tows.

#10 ·
I have the drilled on mine. 2002 7.3L with 8" lift, 37s. They have been on there for around 2 years or so. I haven't noticed any cracks, BUT then again, I haven't looked for any either. This thread has me curious now, I will have to check it out! :confused:

#12 ·
I had drilled on my mustang, and they cracked. drilled arent nessesary anymore. a good set of slotted work just fine. i have slotted front and rear with a cadmium plate coating on them so they wont rust. I bought them from rotorpros.com (great place) then plated them myself.

if you are warping your stock rotors its probably because you are either really hard on your brakes, or you are buying the rotors already warped. I know that sounds odd, but i am a mechanic by trade (one of my jobs) and we turn EVERY new rotor we put on a car. they are all out a little right from the box. some of them are so bad we cant even turn them. If you dont turn the rotors before putting them on, then the already warped rotor will get hot spots and warp much easier in as little as 3 months sometimes.

so for my 2 cents, either buy from a reputable place like rotorpros.com, turn your rotors that you get from the parts store, or buy right from ford, they are usually the best right out of the box for OEM replacments

sorry for the long post. hope this helps

#13 ·
A high quality drilled rotor will be fine.
I ran Stillen/Brake Pro's rotors on several cars and trucks and never had any cracks. I hada Ford Lightning brake upgrade on my 01 Supercrew with Stillen drilled rotors which was a fairly heavy truck and ws driven hard.....never had a crack.
I'll have their 13.5" Superduty kit soon and have no worries about them at all.

#15 ·
I picked up a set of drilled and slotted from BrakeMotive. front and rear rotors and pads $270 shipped!

Can actually feel a difference in the braking compared to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.