Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

EGT / ICP Question

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tbolt 
#1 ·
Will ICP issues cause high EGTs? I have been trying to figure out if I have an icp issue because my truck rolls the black smoke while accelerating up a hill in my DP 60T mode. So I have been keeping the chip off while I track down the problem and have noticed that the truck will run at 900 degrees in 6th gear going up a medium grade cruising at 65mph with approx 6-8 psi boost. This seems a little hot?? Any thoughts or suggestions? The truck is an 02 f-350 4x4 with the 6 speed, afe stage 2 and 4" exhaust.
Thanks

#2 ·
I'm chasing the same problem. I had a laptop on mine and at 25# boost the map was showing 14# on the computor haven't got back with them to get an opinion yet. If I stay in the throttle my egt will go to 1400 really fast. Does the same thing in 40T also. If I get it figured out I'll let you know. Please do the same if you would please.

#4 ·
I had a laptop on mine and at 25# boost the map was showing 14# on the computor haven't got back with them to get an opinion yet.
This is unrelated to the ICP in this case and has to do with the tuning. Sure is nice to not set overboost codes though, huh?

Joey is right about poor atomization. On a side note, is it just me or do the 02/03 trucks have a higher rate of HPOP problems? I've run across three of them now that can't maintain pressure in stock form after 145K miles while I've got friends with E99-01 trucks that are still going strong(er) with nearly 200K.

#5 ·
... and have noticed that the truck will run at 900 degrees in 6th gear going up a medium grade cruising at 65mph with approx 6-8 psi boost. This seems a little hot??
This part in quotes sounds perfectly normal to me. I am assuming 3.73 gears and stock-ish tires? In the above scenario you are probably turning ~1900 rpm, right? Sounds just about right to me.

The part about rolling black smoke does not sound right. I have run the 60tow for over 100K miles and it never rolls black smoke. It will throw a noticeable haze when pulling hard but I have always been able to see through what little smoke it makes.

$.02

#8 ·
Definitely. It should be able to maintain at least 2400 PSI to run at an "acceptable" level from a performance standpoint. The desired ICP (what the PCM commands and wants to see) at higher RPM/load levels is around 2800 PSI. The stock programming gives you around 210 PSI lower and 400 PSI higher than desired for seven seconds before the light comes on.

Here's a Desired ICP map:

[/IMG]

#11 ·
Dennis @ ITPDiesel got some updated tunes from Jody for me. I'll put them in tomorrow and let you know how mine does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.