Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

cooked tranny, 00 f350 7.3 auto

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Richard P 
#1 ·
Well, while at a western fair and some mudbogs/demo derby, i cooked the tranny in my tow truck. i was yanking out a demo dderby car, then once it was free, i tromped on the gas to get thrugh the mud pit to leave the area, with me being an idiot and not double checking, it was in 2nd, not drive, my indicator is broken, stays on 1st. it has no drive gear, no 2nd or 1st, just reverse. luckily, no one saw this incident because its a very flashy truck, and i was promoting the new business. now for the main question, how bad is it to change the tranny, its has pto capabilities on the top, where my pto pump is located if that helps. its got overdrive. is there anything i should look out for? or is this something that can be fixed in my yard or basement. it looked pretty bad watching my wrecker getting hauled across the city on another flatbed.
thanks,
Richard

#2 ·
they arent to bad to change easier if you have a tranny jack. and it is somethin that can be done in the driveway

#3 ·
alrighty, i got access to a real big tranny jack, and my friend will be lifting the front of my truck with his tow truck. is it a long job to take that bad boy out? a few hours? we had my friends dodge tranny out in 45 min. and any clue what model tranny this would be? seems like a 4 speed od. has pto capability

#4 ·
4r100.

Save yourself the time and aggravation and money, get a BTS the first time.

Brians Truck Shop

It cost just a bit more than a heavy duty reman from ford, but the best peformance, and best service you'll get for your truck. Save a little by going elsewhere, but it will end up costing more in the end.

Ask me how I know this.:doh:

#5 ·
:whs:

With a tranny jack, and a helper you should be able to do the swap in 2 to 3 hours.

#6 ·
Tranny swaps are easy. The type of tranny jack can determine how long it takes to put it back in. It is probably worth it to fab some kind of cradle for it so you can lift it straight up with out the tranny twisting or rocking.

#7 ·
Watched Brian take mine out of my truck at his shop and he was done in 35 minutes. He had a modified jack with a custom cradle on the top and he just jacked the rear wheels off the ground about 18-20 inches and rolled under. Now I imagine he has more practice than you would, but it would appear from watching him that it is not a difficult but there seemed to be some long extensions involved with swivels.

#8 ·
I got access to a huge swivel in any direction 400 lbs house raising orange son of a b!tch! but is there any reason why I would lose just forward gears? my buddy came and checked things out, we both noticed it wants to go into gear, but doesnt. the pto pump still works well and still makes the engine idle to 1500 rpm. it still has fully functioning reverse. could this be a computer issue? speed sensor? is there ground wires to look at that are known to cause this? my battery light flickers wildly at any rate lately, but the obd2 reads no codes. before i pull the tranny and dish out a grand, Id like to know if its something simple. the fluid does not smell burn or appear to be discolored. the fluid and filter was changed with every oil change every 5000 kms as specified.
thanks,
Rich

#9 ·
Ok, Well, my beliefs of the tranny failure are leaning more toward electrical more than ever. I hosed the mud out from under it, looked at the wired leading to the shifter computer, a black wire is disconnected, plus its all taped where the splice is to the pto pump. but heres the more aggrivating part, i cant start it, the whole electrical system has failed, i put the key on, the wipers go, headlights flicker, all dash lights flicker like water in fuel, low fuel, seatbealt, everything, radio also tries to pop on and off and relays click. so, im going to randomly look for anything since i have no clue what to look for. im beginning to think, the flickering battery light was leading to something like this. any ideas? thanks

#10 ·
Sounds like a low battery to me.
Put the charger on there get em fully charged then try again. I wouldnt think that would cause the tranny issue though. Mine ran fine even with dischraged batteries right up to the point when there wasnt enough juice to run the gauges, then it shut off.(alternator went south)

#13 ·
if the problem is not your wiring or another electrical issue, it could be the fluid feed bolt for the forward clutches. They can back out and stop flow to the forward clutches. That is what happened to my truck and killed my transmission. You can access the 2 feed bolts forward and reverse, by removing the trans pan, accumulator and valve body. If you caught it soon enough easy fix. In my case we found it after pulling the trans and partially tearing it down.

#15 ·
Maybe a broken or damaged hot wire?? From the batteries to the truck or something.

#16 ·
the terminals are bad, theyre messed up and cant be tightened.
as for the tranny, I got the 2 mount bolts off, all the crossmember bolts are losened and ready to come off, i got all (4?) mount bolts off the motor, starter is off, dust sheild and the 2 fluid lines are losened and ready to come off . correct me if im wrong, but all i got left is disconnect the computer, shifter computer, linkage, speed sensor and pto pump and unbolt the torque converter.
now my friend that was supposed to be helping me isnt, ive been doing this solo and it appears ill be doing it that was for the rest of the job, Ill be placing a block under the motor oil pan, and my floor jack under the tranny.

My next question is, can the oil pan be removed while the tranny is out? it looks like i can slide it right back if i remove the ring gear. mine is getting a little rotted, and i dont want to pull the motor later on down the lone to do so. and is there preventative things i can do to save it? thick layer of gravel gaurd covered with an oil film?
thanks,
Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.