Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:08 AM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF

Just bought the truck and began mods. When I drove the 1st time I checked the O/D button and it worked. Pick the truck up today and notice O/D button light flashing. Everything seems to be working, shifts into every gear hard but it has a reman Ford tranny w/shift kit. Lock-up seems to be working. Disengages when let off. But also downshifts at around 1300rpm like tow mode. Checked other threads and found some simular but not right. Shifter is lose, could that be it? Please any info is apreciated.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 AM
kainers
Starting Over
Member's Gallery

Re: Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF

Flashing od you have some tranny codes that need to be pulled.Other than that you are throwing a dart at the board.Could be allot of things.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM
RedSmokey
Lovin the Tuna
Member's Gallery

Pull the codes
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

I don't have a scan tool, or have access to 1, and the shops around here have a $75 min so the codes may come after a bit. Is there any simple eye-ball checks I could do?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
RedSmokey
Lovin the Tuna
Member's Gallery

uh, i dont think so, it could be a number of things that could be internal you wouldnt be able to check till the trans would be out. Really just best off pulling the code, otherwise its really a huge guessing game, especially when the trans isnt doing something obvious to point you twords what wrong...
Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800joedaddy View Post
I don't have a scan tool, or have access to 1, and the shops around here have a $75 min so the codes may come after a bit. Is there any simple eye-ball checks I could do?
The only thing you can do without codes is make sure that every connection in the truck is plugged in and each pin is clean, not bent or corroded. There are so many ways that a problem can occur that will flash the OD light and store a code that there is really no way to diagnose what's wrong without the code.

Bite the bullet and get the codes read. It will be cheaper and faster than trying to fix this without the codes. And if you just ignore it, there's a good chance you'll be buying a new trans soon. Ignoring a minor problem in a trans often turns into a dead trans.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM
sevenpointthree
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

go to autozone or advanced auto or maybe some others but i know those two will pull codes for free hoping you will buy the parts from them
Old 06-14-2009, 03:27 PM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpointthree View Post
go to autozone or advanced auto or maybe some others but i know those two will pull codes for free hoping you will buy the parts from them
Never thought of that Auto Zone owes me, they'd asking for a bail-out if it weren't for the dozens of times I visit them per week
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

OK I fixed it... Almost. I was doing some finish welds on the exh and unhooked the battery. WALAH! no flashing light. Something else, yesterday I was pulling my trailer (6000lb) and the shifts seemed a little harsh. That went away as well. I'm starting to think this had a flash installed or something and that might have affected it? I'm definately going to have it looked at if it comes back.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Lil' E
Edumacted
Member's Gallery

I know that in my 97 that I had the OD light was flashing, and it was shifting firmer than usual and it wound up being the TC. It was slipping a little bit and the trans had a fail safe in it where when the TC slipped it would bump the line pressure up and make it shift firmer on its own, to spare the tranny. It would come on sometimes and then it would go away. It finally stayed flashing one time and then it went to the tranny shop.
14.7 Fuel Only
New times to come soon
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 AM
kainers
Starting Over
Member's Gallery

Unplugging the battery reset the computer.The OD light flashing was telling you something and the tranny was in probably limp mode.It would have been better if you where able to pull the codes so you knew what was causing the issue.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM
bigrpowr
Laces Out
Member's Gallery

the O/D light will flash when tranny temp goes over 240 ..if thats the case..you're burning all the seals up.
08' F250 4x4 w/ 3:55's
Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
RedSmokey
Lovin the Tuna
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
Unplugging the battery reset the computer.The OD light flashing was telling you something and the tranny was in probably limp mode.It would have been better if you where able to pull the codes so you knew what was causing the issue.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Codes are still there.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
Codes are still there.
The codes are stored hard?

It wasn't my intention to clear the code, just not kill the computer.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Until you clear the codes they are still there, all disconnecting the batts do is reset the light. The light will start blinking again as soon as the problem repeats.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Aljay
Don't EFN worry about it
Member's Gallery

!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Bruno2
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' E View Post
I know that in my 97 that I had the OD light was flashing, and it was shifting firmer than usual and it wound up being the TC. It was slipping a little bit and the trans had a fail safe in it where when the TC slipped it would bump the line pressure up and make it shift firmer on its own, to spare the tranny. It would come on sometimes and then it would go away. It finally stayed flashing one time and then it went to the tranny shop.
My 97 was just doing that same thing d light flashing and shifting really hard between 1st and 2nd and then it just stopped acting up and od light is gone . It has been about 2 weeks since it was on . I guess I will wait and see if it comes back on .
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
the O/D light will flash when tranny temp goes over 240 ..if thats the case..you're burning all the seals up.
Just in case this is the reason, change the tranny fluid. Need 19 quarts, I bought a five gallon bucket from O'Reilly's for about 50 bucks.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Lil' E
Edumacted
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2 View Post
My 97 was just doing that same thing d light flashing and shifting really hard between 1st and 2nd and then it just stopped acting up and od light is gone . It has been about 2 weeks since it was on . I guess I will wait and see if it comes back on .
Well mine was doing it during the winter when the fluid stayed relatively cool it wouldn't do it, but in the summer time it would start acting up, and also when I beat the he!! out of the truck it would do it. The tranny would run a little warmer than normal but it wouldn't break 200*.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
jcsmith2232
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

My 97' Started flashing 2 weeks ago while towing my boat (only 2000lbs), I unplugged the batt and it went away for 300mi until I had my boat hooked back up to it and it started again. Nothing seems to be slipping or abnormal, Ive been told it's most likely the speed sensor or the throttle position sensor. Has anyone seen if Autozone can pick up the code.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
tch.280
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsmith2232 View Post
My 97' Started flashing 2 weeks ago while towing my boat (only 2000lbs), I unplugged the batt and it went away for 300mi until I had my boat hooked back up to it and it started again. Nothing seems to be slipping or abnormal, Ive been told it's most likely the speed sensor or the throttle position sensor. Has anyone seen if Autozone can pick up the code.
Autozone's scanners can not read tranny codes.

SOLD-2001 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 auto, 207,000 miles, linex, DP tuner 40T, 80E, 120R. 3.5 inch DP/4 inch exhaust. ATS housing. AFE stage 1, Hutch and Harpooned, HV IDM. V-10 transmission cooler. Medium build transmission. Baby terminator single HPOP, Turbomaster wastegate, 1.0 exhaust housing.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Lil' E
Edumacted
Member's Gallery

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your tranny?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
jcsmith2232
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Yup, the torque converter was slipping. To my stupidity I continued to drive it for another 500mi and bang out went the tranny. I had a 4r100 put in it with a triple disc converter and she's great now! I guess thats why they call them an idiot light, especially if theyre ignored.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Bruno2
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

what did the tc cost ya and what brand was it and where can I get one ?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM
jcsmith2232
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

it was a Buckeye triple disc steel. cost 250$ Not sure how to get one. The guy that did my trans swap hooked me up with it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
oldblue96
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I have a 96 that i just got, my first diesel i haved owned.I'm glad i read your posting because my truck is doing the same thing, thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
farmboy1432
diesel freak
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to farmboy1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The only thing you can do without codes is make sure that every connection in the truck is plugged in and each pin is clean, not bent or corroded. There are so many ways that a problem can occur that will flash the OD light and store a code that there is really no way to diagnose what's wrong without the code.

Bite the bullet and get the codes read. It will be cheaper and faster than trying to fix this without the codes. And if you just ignore it, there's a good chance you'll be buying a new trans soon. Ignoring a minor problem in a trans often turns into a dead trans.
I agree to get codes read forsure, however it doesnt always tell the whole story or in my case none of the story. I have a 97 with the same intermittent o/d light flashing issue,( thought i had fixed but its back) however just pulled codes and P 1728 on alldata says trans slip- converter clutch failed. repair is solenoid failure or mechanical failure. Snap on modius scan tool says, check all wiring harness, speed senors, and trans pan for mechanical. I have checked pan and found no signs of damage... so now im left to check the hold harness and change speed sensors till one of those fixes it... correct? So yes I 100% agree that he should get codes pulled but to some dregree your still left guessing as to what the issue really is right?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

It is almost always the torque converter clutch apply piston that has cracked. That will not put any debris in the pan.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 AM
farmboy1432
diesel freak
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to farmboy1432

The torque converter can be bad yet it still be as intermittent as it is? go for days without acting up at all? just wondering? oh well bite the bullet as a wise man once said. lol. Ill start pricing out torque converters soon. thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

Yes, that's the pattern. As the crack progresses it will start to do it more often. When the crack is small it can still hold enough pressure to keep the converter clutch applied most of the time. The code only sets when you happen upon the right operating conditions where it can't hold the clutch applied and then it slips.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
loys95powy
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I had this happeneing to me a few weeks ago. o/d light was blinking and it was shifting real hard through the gears. also my speedo and odometer didnt work...turns out it was just a blown fuse for my dome light.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
countryboyrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by loys95powy View Post
I had this happeneing to me a few weeks ago. o/d light was blinking and it was shifting real hard through the gears. also my speedo and odometer didnt work...turns out it was just a blown fuse for my dome light.
The third brake light may get power from that also which would mess with the trans.

I dont see how the dome light in the cab will throw a transmission code causing the transmission to do what you said.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
loys95powy
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Yeah I had no idea either. i thought it was a sensor on the tranny. i brought it to the shop thinking that and was pissed to figure out it was just a fuse.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
joedaddy
I know nothing...
Member's Gallery

Wow... A blast from the past!

BTW still running the same trans and hard as ever. Sometimes electronics make mistakes, its not always something wrong.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:19 AM
96'BigBlue
just learning...
Member's Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to 96'BigBlue Send a message via AIM to 96'BigBlue

Pulled 4 codes tonight: PO562, PO500, PO603, PO344, So iv got low voltage=need new batteries, Rear speed sensor just replaced with a NAPA part and still showing code and speedo is fluctuating at speeds above 50, 603 code is just from my programmer, and 344 is the CPS but I replaced my old one with a gray one from a member on here, was good but now it has been throwing the code randomly. Have been experiencing the same hard shifting and just now the overdrive shifter started flashing. I see loys95powy had problems with his dome light, my map lights have never worked and all my fuses are good. The third brake light works but I just checked the cargo light connections and they are melted. Where do I start? Does anyone have a spare good Ford VSS? My tranny pan bolts are siezed in, slowly working on them with PB Blaster, broke 2 of them off though : /

1996 f350 dually AFE Intake, Gauges, SuperChips Programmer, Auxillary tranny cooler& fan, IC, DP only.... 299,000 an still rollin.....kinda...

2000 F250 XLT-bone stock and staying that way

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 322
00powersmoke, 00PSD, 00strokey7.3, 01fordstroker, 01Stroker4x4, 02 CCSB, 02psd, 02Tonka, 06 stroker, 1997Fummins, 1999 7.3L, 1999powerstroker, 2000Censtroker, 2000XLifted, 250turbo, 2CAN, 4.0l sahara, 444-4D, 450ciPSD, 4duggan, 67weiman, 7.3 Stroke, 8nout, 90_4runner2, 91turbogsx, 94strokeher, 96'BigBlue, 96PSD, 97bigblue, 97crewcab, 99powerstroke, 99strokin, abianca99, aklim, AlaskaRedneK, almostfinished, alumguy, andrewjamessmith04, Andy's 250, Arisley, Austinj427, azc9a7, BADASSPOWERSTROKE, Bartman, bcangelo, BIG E, Big Head, big*diesel, bigaF250, bigbadford01, BigBluLbz, bigdog379x, bigern515, bigjay897, BIGLARRYS03, BIGN, BigRed97, billman, birdog, blowinsmoke, bluedge8, BLUELINE, blueoval4life, BMF7.3, boostaddict, Breacher, Bronx, Bruno2, buckingbrutus, bud48fla, bulletproof7.3, Bushwakd, c.salt, CATdiezel, Cheeze, chevyeater351, Chip, chris 0., chunkdunker, Ckeaton, Clouse2411, co04cobra, cobragarage, codypowerstroke, colekym, Conrad, cowBOYER, cpv, cturnmire, cutterstroke, Cutty72, cvhs0254, Da Jimmer!, damedic, darren.corbin@gmail.com, Dave, David N, dblamp, DcMoore999, Deaththree, DEEREPULLER, deerhunter625, Delox, deputyzach, dezl, dglenn1969, DHall, diesel fanatic, Diesel Mack, DieselBrad, dirtbikedingo, Dirt_99, dixieland-diesels, dlmater, dmd, doublej112, Dustin F2504x4, dzlstroker, elkrunner, eparrjr23, f350red, farmboy1432, farmboy93, Fddriver2, ffwayne88, Firedogbme, FlatbedCowboy, Flexj, flicker, flogvul, Fordfreak4life, fst2000, galla35, genuineford, giavuc, goodolboy, goosyboy, Gotti2k7, Greg, guy, HAAS, HARDTIMES, harleyf250, hawkeye, HMBUILDER4U2004, Holleran, Hoofbeat, HoustonPSD, Huckster, hyrk, I<3-7.3powerstrokes, iamnonstop, independentreb12, itsmyduty, jboord, jcsmith2232, jdexcursion, Jellyroll22, Jeremy Morrison, jetdok2r, jff987, jgos929, jhenney, jhyder408, jmiller9339, jobaa, joedaddy, Joedog, joshuaingram1982, junebug909, Jwagoner15, J_F250, kainers, Kaleb, kbog350, kdsf350, kh63, Kip, kip4234, kkpsiguy, KliffBar, kramarj, Lil' E, lincolnlocker, LittleRedStroker, loys95powy, machete31, manureman, maple sapper, Marcb, Mark Kovalsky, Matt07, matthewd11, Maughanster, maxndozer, Mayday, Mbarrett, mckeddie, mean7.3, Metalgami, MidwestOBS, mike61, mikes95powerstroke, milehighstroker, Millerfarms, Monstar, moresrvc, MTNSTROKE, mzwizanski, nickPSD, no-tel-in, NorCalDiesel, Northcountrywood, nrook, Ohnny101, Oiltrash, Old Big and Slow, oldblue96, OVERSTROKED, panteramatt, papadelogan, PETERC, pff250hd, Phiber Optik, Phildo, Picanins, Pirate38, PLATO-350, plug ugly, powerstrokegirl73, PowerstrokeMudder82, Powerstroker_, PowerStrokingMachine, procomp, protraxrptr17, psd kid, PSDfan99, PSDTECH97, pstroke96, randyo156, redpower, RedSmokey, Rescue48, RHCDIESEL, rich, Richard P, rickey, rogerm311, Rogue1970, RonMan, roofcock, rpm-inc, Rustler, samson101478, screagle07, seriousdiesel, sevenpointthree, SevenThree, Shanediggler, shaneshorty, shivt, sirnunya, SirStrokeAlot, slow_lane55, sly10, smokin550, smokindiesel2, snorcr31, SouthJerseyStroker, stangman95, star73, steinerr, sticky, Stretch, strok-n, stroke-this99, Stroke00, stroked, Stroken7.3, Stroker67, StrokeThis34, strokin340, Suber 7.3, suprdzlduty, suprhlr, sweet97, sxcross, Tampa450, tank, tch.280, That Other Guy, TheDirt, theSLEEPER, thompson238, tomspear, Toybreaker, turbodiesel_02, TxFire, TylerDurden, UP2NOGD88, upinsmoke70, UpStAcK0360, vader's fury, WannaRollCoal, weweld, Wheels, william_04_x, wint, wsb, wvmudder, zaairman, zack179, Zazoos, ZF6Speed250, Zmann, zx800x, z_racing14