Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Engine & Transmission Conversion
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

I've had this idea bouncing around my head for awhile & just need to let it out. What would I need other than an engine & mounts to swap a 94-97 Powerstroke into my truck? I love my old IDI but I'm thinking about the cost of adding a turbo + how much power it will still make. Also will the E4OD just bolt up or should I find another E4OD or just change the bell housing? The front end is already the heavy duty setup for a Diesel. I figgured my truck shouldn't be that hard of a swap because it's the 92-97 body style. Any input guys?
I was thinking about a Cummins but that too much $$$ & like Aljay says....."So easy a caveman can do it!"

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 PM
BFD99
The Stig
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

your saying a cummins would be more expensive then a 7.3? i think a 12v would be ALOT cheaper to put in. not having to worry about much wiring, and could make power alot easier. but then again, if you factor in that the 7.3 was available in your body style, then...... i don't know, might be cheaper to do the swap, but would still cost more to mod it to make huge HP.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
your saying a cummins would be more expensive then a 7.3? i think a 12v would be ALOT cheaper to put in. not having to worry about much wiring, and could make power alot easier. but then again, if you factor in that the 7.3 was available in your body style, then...... i don't know, might be cheaper to do the swap, but would still cost more to mod it to make huge HP.
Not looking to mod it for 500hp, just looking for a mild Daily Driver setup that can scoot & pull good. Also be easier to swap in the Powerstroke than get all of the mounts & adapters + build the drivetrain to handle a Cummins. I also like the rattle to the old Powerstrokes too!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
OldschoolPSD
all ur OBS r belong to me
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD

Why not slap a turbo and some squirters in the IDI? You could probably do 350hp at the wheels with it, that plenty to have fun with.

in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to trade the IDI in on a day cab OBS stroker...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 AM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolPSD View Post
Why not slap a turbo and some squirters in the IDI? You could probably do 350hp at the wheels with it, that plenty to have fun with.

in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to trade the IDI in on a day cab OBS stroker...
I don't want to get rid of the truck though, I got it for a good deal & the cab is perfect. I just need a new bed & front fenders. I don't think it would be too hard of a swap if I found a doner truck.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Aljay
Don't EFN worry about it
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
I've had this idea bouncing around my head for awhile & just need to let it out. What would I need other than an engine & mounts to swap a 94-97 Powerstroke into my truck? I love my old IDI but I'm thinking about the cost of adding a turbo + how much power it will still make. Also will the E4OD just bolt up or should I find another E4OD or just change the bell housing? The front end is already the heavy duty setup for a Diesel. I figgured my truck shouldn't be that hard of a swap because it's the 92-97 body style. Any input guys?
I was thinking about a Cummins but that too much $$$ & like Aljay says....."So easy a caveman can do it!"
Are you related to Andrew with all this hiarbrain swap question I am starting to wonder.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Marty
Busy Busy
Member's Gallery

i just needed the url for this smiley :nutswinger:

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 - 11.62 @ 115.76
S475, Irate Gated T4, H11, Crower Springs, Smith Bros, My Fuel, Swamps Tuning, Gen3, 400/400's, Forged Rods.
2003 F350 CCLB DRW
Converted to F450 stuff, EGR Delete, stockish...
Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Are you related to Andrew with all this hiarbrain swap question I am starting to wonder.
No, my questions actually have a point behind them, I try asking questions I haven't seen before. Andrew asks questions about the same thing over & over again & still doesn't get it.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Aljay
Don't EFN worry about it
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
No, my questions actually have a point behind them, I try asking questions I haven't seen before. Andrew asks questions about the same thing over & over again & still doesn't get it.
Just bustin balls dude. I know that you know

Your sh!t !
Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

I know you love me in a non :gayfight: way Aljay!

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 79
00PSD1, 17chief, 389SixPack, 68gts, 69W900A, 7.3lsmoker, 85 f350, 86turbodsl, 94ttss, 96strokerwg, aderondaksnowremoval, AlanB, AMB, Astnpwr, Bartman, BFD99, blacksport03, chasespeed, Cool Canuck, coope3, daytondiesel, Dieselboy, Dirt_99, DSALF250, DSGcoupe, dswhite, f350RICK, FordF250Stroker, genuineford, Got Diesel, greenbeast, he_likes_truck_more, hitechredneck350, Hunter'97, IH_deere_slayer, Jake N, JeepPuller, junkyrddog780, jvencius, KR69IDI, lownslow, Marty, Millheim, moose99ps, Nick spends, okiebindernut, OldschoolPSD, Phatbulldog, Powerstroke Racer, PSDOWNER, Racecarhauler, radeon1314, randylamarr, Reubine, Rogue1970, shayb, slick_fork, slowleak, smorris, SOUTHERN_DISCOMFORT, Squatch, squeeks, Stites02psd, Stroked95, StrokerTurbo7.3, strokethis7.3, SUPERDF350, theBAT, TrailerHauler, UNLIMITED_DIESEL, urbandiesel, wjamesm