Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

COOLANT PRESSURE TEST

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  The Oiler 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, well I just got done wit testing the coolant system to find out why Im still pukin. I did a leak down test and it droped only 1 psi in a 30 min period. So I started the truck and let it warm up with the gauge on and all was fine. So I then decided to stage the truck to put a load on it and watched the pressure rise to 18 psi in a few seconds.

So even with the egr blocked off completely, heads were decked and checked for cracks, checked the block with a strait edge and cleaned it with a super fine stone, and of course arp studs. Studs were torqued just like the book said to. Is is possible that a head cracked after the re-assemble and that is what is pressurising the coolant. Do ARP's need to be re-torqued?

Also it will puke with any level of tuning, tow, hot street, and insanity. It wont quite puke in stock setting but when driving and stop to get out to check something I can smell it venting. I really hate the smell of coolant now.

I dont know what else to check and am really done with this pukin mess of an engine.
Thanks
Nathan.

#3 ·
What is your EOT compared to the ECT?? Those two need to be within 15 degrees of each other under hard load. If they are not, then your oil cooler probably needs replaced.. Also, is the fan working correctly?? Both of those are also known causes of puking...

And I guess it is possible a head cracked but I would check those other things first....

#4 ·
Did you check for flatness as described below:

New Cylinder Head Check Procedure Video:
mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/wsm/cylinderheadflatness.wmv

Also, the cylinder heads have a "record groove" type surface. If you took that off with the stone, it may be part of the issue. Green scotchbrite pads are the most abrasive thing that should be used.

Note - you may need to copy the URL and paste it in your browser.

#5 ·
The heads where decked and the block had the stone put on it. So the block would have the record grove then? If so would it have been noticeable to see or feel.If that was the case would the heads an block be no good then?

#7 ·
The pressure was 18 and rising when i was staging it to put a load on it to simulate driving down the road. Is this what you were seeing Adam when diagnosting your cracked block?

#10 ·
I guess I could pull the heads off if I dont trade it in first. Is there a way to see which head isn't sealing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.