Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

why 7.3?

15K views 98 replies 48 participants last post by  tbolt 
#1 ·
Ok so here is a legit question. I often associate regions with the type of trucks you will see at events. up here in alberta its Dodge and a few chevys very few fords and those that show up are just casual guys (flashy edge boxes intake exhaust no injectors etc claim 500+hp)

I often here how great the cummins is (I actually do not know of its shortfalls but with any platform they have them) and how weak my 6.0 was and how my 7.3 lacks any power etc. constant any ford BS

so after owning the 7.3 for a little while and seeing how much it costs to "build" one why do people still use them as a platform for all out power it seems like doing a swap would be more beneficial in the long run.

Am I wrong for thinking that? Honestly I have only seen two 7.3's up here in edmonton.

#2 ·
One because Allen said buy a 7.3 and Scott seconded it! I can't really
say why so few in sled pulling but I don't pull a sled, just a 20 ft car
box. Maybe some of the real wise and knowagebles that know the
true answer will post up for ya. Good luck.

Oh! both brothers have dura craps and I have to have a good 7.3
to pull them in when they break!

#6 ·
I wanted a truck not a dodge. :ford:

Im not knocking the platform or those that build them just curious seems like there are some real diehards with the 7.3 and they must have there reasons.

I honestly could say the same for 6.0 liter guys as well. there are a few guys that have blown the motor on a 6.0 and instead of it made it stronger and pushed it to its limit and then blew it up again and they keep pushing and pushing and then next you know people who told me 3 years ago that a 6.0 would never hit 4 digits does just that.

#4 ·
7.3 because that is what was under the hood of the Platinum Edition. LOL

No really when I first started looking into diesel and researching what to buy and the time it was the 6.0L and they were trying to figure out problems and I kept hearing that the 7.3 was a good platform to build off of.

But back then who would know that you could run 7's in the 1/8 with Danny's set up. Pre charger. Think the reason we spend so much on the builds for these is because we are true to the blue oval.

#5 ·
I went 7.3 for the pulling truck because of the challenge. It can be a difficult puzzle to crack making many small victories. But the damn thing runs. And others notice it because they are so few and far between. There are a bunch of guys that I pull with that respect that little red truck....

#8 ·
You build a Ford because that's what you love. You shouldn't question it so much. Once you get a set of hybrids and a 38R and the supporting mods, you outta be able to run with a lot of the Dodges.

That have a smarty Jr on them...:doh:

#9 ·
Why build a 7.3.......

Because of the incredible amount of shame and disrespect you can give to all your buddies with their boxes and chips, and whatever on their mighty cummins/duramax when you put 6 lengths on their asses the first time they shut their mouths long enough to see your license plate waving goodbye.

Then you can come back and ask..... now what was that again about the lowly 7.3 and the mighty _______ that was gonna put it on me?

#23 ·
Ahem to that...

#10 ·
:whs: + It was the only truck I could afford at the moment!! LOL

#11 ·
i have always had a ford but when i bought the one i have i talked to several mechanics before i bought anything. Dodge has to many transmission problems and my mechanic has an 05. he likes the engine but hates the rest of the truck. he has had to rebuild the tranny and overhaul the fuel system. they had trouble with the fuel pumps he told me but they were fixed after 05. seen several dodges with the sagging front end. Heard about duramax with melting aluminum heads. Heard they had tranny trouble before the Allison and with early Allisons. I see so many 7.3 with 300+ still rolling with mo major problems with the original tranny. So I figured that if it did not have a warranty, and then buy something that will not be in the shop all the time. But it is all about what you like.

#15 ·
I bought for the same reason - not to mention that the truck itself is fantastic. The ride engineers did a great job of making the Fords comfy - and when you're on a multi-state haul, you want to be comfortable. I'm a Dodge man all the way through (see screen name), but at the same time, I'm not so brand loyal that I don't pick the right tool/truck for the job. I've got Fords, Chevy's, a Dodge or two and a Pontiac, all of which are good vehicles for their intended purposes.

#13 ·
Oh and honestly, reason for a 7.3l in general, nothing beats a ford chassis and the combo of having a reliable engine in stockish formation.

End of story....

#14 ·
Biggest diesel engine is my reason, in a pickup.

#16 ·
Who-tha-hell-knows. I used to ask myself the same ?'s when I was building 9000rpm long-rod 400ci SB's to run against 600ci+ tall decks. The answer- I relish the "UnderDog" title. 2nd answer- have you listened to HRT's truck recently? JEEEEEZ that thing sound mean. I sold my 1st PSD but am picking-up another tonight or in the morning. What's more I just sold my Cummins to build this 1. As far as brand loyalty - the only american auto co. that had their own diesel was GM. I ain't fond of the 5.7 olds, although I own 2 6.2 Detroits's

:peeman: :doh:

#17 ·
The Cummins is a great motor, you can't deny it. The problem is EVERYONE gets a Cummins, puts a tuner, intake, and exhaust and they are DONE depending on the model year but usually with the 3rd gens you'll have 500 something horses. Impressive none the less, BUT, any moron can be like the next person, i am personally in DODGE country everyone out here has one or two. They all buy what their buddy has and you can pull up to a light next to a dodge and figure out what he is running. THEY all are the same, i'm very seldom impressed with mechanical abilities of a Cummins owner because they all claim to have a one in a million engine, when they really have basically the same set up as thousands of others on the road. NOW the 7.3 may or may not have the highest horsepower ratings or the fastest times. The 7.3 does have a long history of reliable power and a strong heritage. Honestly on PSN how many people can say on a NORMAL day you pull up to a stop light and see a decent 2nd gen dodge or a fast 3rd gen? OK now how often do you see a badass 7.3 that'll spank alot of cars out there? Exactly people who are illiterate and go with the flow and want a quick fix of power with little thought put into the set up go for a dodge. People who like to think and want a challenge and believe in the TRUCKS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT, go for a ford, sure its frustrating but when you finally get your set up the way you want it, call up one of the many GREAT sponsors and say i want my truck to do this, here is what i have, please tune it, and they get it running like a well oiled machine. You can pull up to a light, and you can have 85% of the trucks on the road pull up next to you and you can spank them, you leave them with a dumb founded look on their faces because they think the powerstroke "sucks" when really the 7.3 powerstroke is really a victim of hill billy sterotyping. :ford:

#18 ·
The Cummins is a great motor, you can't deny it. The problem is EVERYONE gets a Cummins, puts a tuner, intake, and exhaust and they are DONE depending on the model year but usually with the 3rd gens you'll have 500 something horses.
It's going to be difficult to get 500+ on tuner intake and exhaust.

And if you do, you won't be able to put it all to the ground efficiently and effectively.

#19 ·
the 7.3 is a GREAT engine but is pretty much the worst diesel engine you can get to produce high-hp...
the ford trucks are obviously the best, everyone knows that... and a built E4OD or any built ford trans will be pretty much bulletproof... but there's a reason i'm selling my truck... it'll be over 10k to get from 425hp to 550hp... why would i wanna spend that much money when i can easily switch over to a cummins or duramax and get there for literally the cost of a built trans + 2k

honestly, i love seeing a high-hp 7.3 and i think its WAY cooler then a high-hp cummins... but the cost to get there makes it not even close to viable for the average diesel enthusiast

#20 ·
see I would be happy with 500hp and having a reliable platform (on fuel)

to me it seems the cummins is pretty easy to get there as long as you can swallow the transmission cost. however once you start talking 600+ no engine tranny combo is gonna be reliable.

however with how my motor sits I am looking at needing forged rods head studs injectors turbo and a tranny that can take it all.

I have not confirmed I have PMRs but judging from my build date Its a safe assumption to have.

#22 ·
I don't know.I honestly plan to keep my 7.3 and maybe put some hybrids in and a d66 or 38r and the supporting mods to go with it and be done.I might not do that much.But I am happy with what I have.It does everything I need and I don't compete so I'm good and it serves me well.I bought the truck cash and for $4000 so it just seems right to keep it.I do plan on getting an 08 in couple years when the prices come down and getting a exhaust,intake and tuner and getting into th 500 hp club.

#24 ·
My reason for the 7.3 was that I originally WAS contemplating a Cummins swap but then a few Cummins guys came by my shop and talking $hit and saw the 7.3 on my engine stand and said "Oh god, tell me your not wasting money on that?" Always bustin' my balls about how a Cummins is better and blah blah blah.

And from the point forward I want the fastest diesel truck in my area to be a 7.3 Powerstroke. Cost is not an issue (well it is but you get my point :D), it's the pride of being an underdog and upsetting the competition.

#25 ·
I love my 7.3 its been a good ol reliable and powerful truck that does everything well.. :ford:

#33 ·
There is a great misconception here with the 7.3 platform.

I have not invested over $3,500 in mine (not counting ZF6 swap) to make it into the 500hp class, granted I have done almost all the work myself.

My buddy has a Cummins 12V with $12K at least invested in the motor and he only made 50 more hp than me on the same dyno same day. His motor is HEAVILY modified.

If I could have lit my charger in the race tunes I think my numbers would have been right with his.

I still daily drive this engine with 300K miles on it. At least 40K at this power level.

Who could complain about that.

#37 ·
There is a great misconception here with the 7.3 platform.

I have not invested over $3,500 in mine (not counting ZF6 swap) to make it into the 500hp class, granted I have done almost all the work myself.

My buddy has a Cummins 12V with $12K at least invested in the motor and he only made 50 more hp than me on the same dyno same day. His motor is HEAVILY modified.

If I could have lit my charger in the race tunes I think my numbers would have been right with his.

I still daily drive this engine with 300K miles on it. At least 40K at this power level.

Who could complain about that.
let me guess... your buddy probably gutted the AFC and isn't running any plate at all right? LOL
with less then 2k into performance parts (plus the cost of a built trans) ANY 12v will be in the 600+hp range... it just takes a lot of time tuning and figuring out how to get everything right in YOUR truck

#39 ·
Ive started small with no real intention of getting big HP, but after adding this, that and the other thing, you soon realize Ill never get that $$ back if I were to sell it.....so I just keep building with the intent to drive it hard and if it breaks ill fix it again because im already in over my head......My wife hates my 7.3... lol

#45 ·
Turbo options is a limiting factor on the OBS's and a little on the SD's but easy access to the fuel system and HPOP, heavy duty design, and moving a lot of cfm's is a couple of reasons why I like the 7.3. I think its a diamond in the ruff.

#48 ·
its not the turbo options holding back the 7.3, its the HEUI system that can't fuel higher rpms and can't support a lot of fuel

Well go buy a Cummins and stop mucking up threads on a PSD site.

I don't go on Cummins sites and spew a bunch of chit they don't want to hear.

I just love the old 7.3, maybe stupid, but whatever, it floats my boat.
i love the 7.3 too, for a stock or mostly stock truck i think they're pretty much unbeatable but i'm just trying to warn people that if you're gonna try to get 550-600hp out of 7.3, you're gonna be paying A LOT of money to get there, and like i said earlier, when is it worth it anymore?

#46 ·
I have never hooked mine to something I needed moved that my truck let me down.

That's why. I was told, if you want down right tough, dependable, get the job done truck. Buy an old 7.3 superduty.

I bought one a half a year to old. I love my early 99, but I sure do wish it was a 99.5.

They are cheaper to keep.

#47 ·
coz a 7.3 is bigger n a 5.9, 6.0, 6.2, 6.5, 6.6, 6.9 and a 6.7...like they say go big or go home coz there aint no replacement for displacement:evil

Oh yeah, and the 7.3 was all that was offered down under from a dealership without importing (except for a Suburban) LOL

Long live the 7.3 and all of you still supporting this great platform :bowfast:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.