Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I Need Hoodspace!

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Short Bus 
#1 ·
Where can I find a hood with enough cowl to clear a compound set-up.

Or, has anyone made it work and still retained the A/C without a taller cowled hood or a body lift?

#3 ·
I really didn't want to go with a body lift but it would give me room and it would also line up the body line with the bed better now that I think of it.

#4 ·
There is a body lift on my puller for maintenance purposes only... that and to clear certain turbochargers when installed!

Seriously you can move enough junk around and get the atmosphere on the passenger side, either up where the battery is now, or down lower to the frame rail. It takes some creativity but it will fit and some things will need to be moved to make it fit.

#5 ·
Yea, I thought about putting the batteries on the frame rail and moving this vaccuum box thing. What's it do (this canister thing)? HVAC or something? And, where can I put it?

Also, with the atmosphere turbo mounted down in there, how would I run the down-pipe?

#7 ·
Yea, I thought about putting the batteries on the frame rail and moving this vaccuum box thing. What's it do (this canister thing)? HVAC or something? And, where can I put it?
It is a vacuum canister. I mounted mine under the the truck when I put both bateries on the passenger side. Pulled up the passenger sill plate and drilled two holes that match up with the ones on the canister. Mounted canister under truck and extended the lines to reach the canister. It is tucked up far enough not to get any stones and debris off the tire.

#8 ·
I just looked a damn nice twin set up with AC the other night.

#12 ·
:nopics:

#17 ·
I agree

I haven't tried it or seen it done but something that might work, On dual alternator trucks the second alternator is under the A/C compressor. If you put your single alternator under there you would clear some space where the alt is now.
Can't, the clutch pump for the bed is mounted down there, but good idea.

mine fits w/o any body lift or cowl hood and my twins are far from small.
Pics... please.

#13 ·
I haven't tried it or seen it done but something that might work, On dual alternator trucks the second alternator is under the A/C compressor. If you put your single alternator under there you would clear some space where the alt is now.

#14 ·
For the record you don't really need that vacuum canister or you can replace it w/ a much smaller one from a Ford Ranger.

I haven't had one in years. The only difference is when you first start the truck the vacuum pump has to run for a second to operate the vent controls since it doesn't have saved vacuum to operate them.

The body lift is the way to go to get that underhood room. Even a 1" lift will give you like an additional 2-3" between the engine and the firewall for your downpipe etc...

#18 ·
Sounds like you need an afternoon with your intended first stage compressor in hand, plenty of beer on hand and some time wallowing up under the hood until it finds a home or you drain the cooler.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.