Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

EBPV?

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Dzchey21 
#1 ·
Do these trucks have the EBPV for cold weather warm up? I'm running a cat and dpf delete pipe along with the DPF-R kit and I notice that my exhaust note will change throughout the day. When I first start up the truck it has a throaty exhaust note, but later in the day it has the sound like an ebpv is partially closed. This is with the temps around 60-70 degrees.

#3 ·
mine changes when it is sitting idling. like it cycles kind of, but i have noticed this but i don't think it's temp related.

#5 ·
wonder why it does that , just at random while it idles?

#10 ·
Do you think I'm just noticing this now because I've taken off the cat and dpf and opened up the exhaust? The flucuating idle has nothing to do with the DPF-R kit or the Spartan tuning?

#18 ·
There are no wastegates the turbo charger speeds and boost are all controlled by the VGT turbo, external wastegates are being ADDED but non are factory, YOu are hearing the EGR cycle to keep it from sticking all of the race tunes have the egr shut off but still cycle at an idle, You can just hear it now because you dont have the big cigarret butt in your exhaust anymore...

#20 ·
na the vanes control where the exhuast pressure is put on the wheel. in the open circuit postion its pretty much like bypassing the wheel because the exhaust is pretty much diverted around the wheel, but not completly thats why they are adding external wastegates to vent off some drive pressure

#23 ·
Here's some illustration that shows a VNT/VGT turbo and how it works.

Notice the vains located in a circle around the exhaust wheel. They can either direct the exhaust energy/pressure at the wheel or away from the wheel. This acts like a wastegate but allows you to control the airflow through the turbine with more accuracy.

her you can see vains open and close

The picture below is a fixed geometry turbo, it relies on a wastegate to control airflow, the wastegate (if external) has a pipe connected to the inlet side of the turbine housing and the downpipe, it deverts air through that passage to relieve pressure on the turbine wheel.

The low pressure/atmosphere turbo on the 6.4 has a housing like the picture above. It does not have any sort of wastegate external (as described above) or internal.

An internal wastegate diverts the air through a passage cast into the turbine housing using a small flapper valve, and a vacuum actuator.

Internal wastegate flapper in closed position:

Internal wastegate flapper in open position:

Vacuum actuator for internal wastegate attached to housing:

Hopefully that helps illustrate the different methods of relieving drive pressure on turbos.

#25 ·
thanks for that info! i did not know you could control boost more accurately with a vgt than a wastegate

#26 ·
Yea its more presise control because you arent just venting off pressure your controlling turbine speed with exhaust flow, its crazy, when i seen the pictures i was hoping i wasnt getting :eek:wned: on that one. Thanks for the pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.