Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Help with low fuel psi.

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  jvdiesel.performance 
#1 ·
I have a 07 F350 6.0 and I can't get the fuel psi to stay up.
The truck has ARP studs, EGR delete and I run Erics X street as a DD. I also put on a ITP RR kit and the psi will not stay up. I have the RR kit set at 65psi. and when I get on it the psi drops, even at 1/2 pedal drops to 35-40psi and at WOT it drops to 20PSI
I dont know if I shoud try the Airdog II when it comes out or do a Airdog 100 and hope that does it.
Dennis at ITP said he does not like the new Airdog II because it only does about 55psi.

I am looking for some input and help befor I start cookig injectors.

Thanks

#3 ·
READ This then i put up pics for you to try to understand......

The installation of the ITP Regulated Return Fuel System on 2007 and 2007 6.0L trucks requires
a slight modification to the factory fuel pressure poppet in order to prevent low fuel pressure
problems. This installation supplement details that modification.
The primary problem this modification addresses is a change in the fuel filter bowl assembly made by
the manufacturer for these model years. If you look at the photo of the fuel filter bowl on page 5 of
our main installation instructions document, you will see that the poppet is inserted into a black “liner”,
which is fitted to the filter bowl. 2003-2005 model trucks should all have this liner, which is pliable
and acts like a gasket to seal the poppet to the bowl and prevent leaks when our custom machined
fitting presses it into place.
On 2006-2007 trucks this liner doesn’t exist, the poppet simply fits into the aluminum housing.
Because there is not a pliable material between them to form a gasket, fuel will leak around the
poppet and prevent the fuel pressure regulator in our kit from being able to do its job properly. The
steps below will resolve this problem by creating a better seal between the poppet and the filter bowl
body so that fuel doesn’t leak by the poppet and cause a low fuel pressure situation.
Items needed to complete this procedure are as follows:
• 18mm, 19mm and 21mm open end wrenches (for disconnecting and reconnecting fuel lines)
• #3 Allen Wrench (for removing and reinstalling the screws that hold the poppet cover)
• (1) AS#8 or AS#9 O-Ring (viton preferred, o-ring dimensions shown in photo below)
1. The first step is to make the work area
accessible. How much needs to be
removed will depend on your tools and
the size of your hands. You need to be
able to get to the (4) allen head screws
that hold the poppet cover on as well
as the fittings on either side of the
poppet cover.
2. Once you’ve gained access to the
poppet cover, disconnect the fuel lines
on either side of it. Then use the #3
allen wrench to remove the 4 retaining
screws and finally remove the poppet
cover from the fuel filter bowl.
3. With the poppet cover removed, locate and remove
the brass poppet valve. Notice that the port where
the poppet fits no longer has the liner, this is the
reason poppet doesn’t properly seal against the filter
bowl body, thus allowing fuel to bleed by into the
return line and causing low fuel pressure problems.

Using a pointed tool,
CAREFULLY pull out the o-ring
that is pressed into the groove at
the base of the poppet. MAKE
NOTE OF THE ORIENTATION
OF THE TAPER BEFORE
COMPLETELY REMOVING
THIS O-RING. We need to reuse
this o-ring so be gentle!
5. Locate your AS#8 or AS#9 o-ring
(see size chart below for exact oring
sizing).

7. REVERSE the orientation of the factory tapered o-ring and reinstall it onto the poppet, making
sure to slide it all the way down against the new o-ring. The taper should now be pointing away
from the base of the poppet, in the opposite direction it was originally. See the photo on the next
page for clarity.
8. Reinstall the poppet into the filter bowl, the reoriented o-ring will now center the poppet and act as
a seal between the brass poppet and aluminum bowl. Complete installation by reversing the
removal steps, remember that the longer screw goes in the lower right position on the poppet
cover.

9. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START THE ENGINE…loosen the jamb nut on the fuel pressure
regulator and back the pressure adjuster out a few turns. Cycle the key (without starting) several
times, allowing the fuel pump to run until it shuts off on its own. This will refill the filter bowl with
fuel and purge the air from the system.
10. Cycle the key again and readjust the fuel pressure to the approximate desired setting. Check the
system for leaks and fix as necessary.
11. Once the fuel pressure has been reset and there are no leaks, start the truck and allow it to warm
up. Reset the fuel pressure to the final desired setting once the engine is warmed and verify that
there are no leaks one more time…you’re done.

ITP WARRANTY AND LIABILITY POLICY
MOST OF THE PRODUCTS SOLD BY ITP DIESEL, L.L.C. ARE DESIGNED TO INCREASE VEHICLE PERFORMANCE…USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Do not install or use any product(s) purchased from ITP Diesel, L.L.C.
until you have carefully read the following Warranty and Liability Policy (the “Warranty”).
Subject to the limitations, exclusions, and qualifications set forth below, the product or the products made and sold (the "Product" or "Products") by ITP
Diesel, L.L.C (the “Seller”) and installed by the buyer (the “Buyer”) are warranted to the Buyer as set forth in this Warranty. The installation of the Products
indicates that the Buyer has read, understands and agrees to the terms and conditions of this Warranty. Any warranty on products that are made by another
manufacturer which are resold by the Seller to the Buyer is made to the Buyer by the manufacturer of such products in accordance with and subject to all
conditions and limitations of the manufacturer's warranty in effect on the date of the purchase by the Buyer. The Seller makes no warranties to the Buyer,
express or implied, with respect to such products that are made by another manufacturer.
LIMITED WARRANTY
The Products are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship, under normal use and service for a period of ninety (90) days from date of
delivery to the Buyer (the “Warranty Period”). The Seller's liability under this Warranty is limited to repair or replacement at its option, subject to the
provisions set forth herein, of any Products which upon examination by Seller are found to be defective. The Buyer shall prepay cost of transportation of
defective Products to the Seller for inspection.
The Seller shall not have any responsibility under this Warranty unless the defect in a Product results in a claim arising within ninety (90) days from the date
of delivery to the Buyer, the Product was properly installed, normally maintained and not subject to misuse, negligence or accident, and the Product, system
components and/or accessories were not repaired or altered in such a way that in the judgment of the Seller the Product’s performance or reliability was
adversely affected.
EXCLUSIONS
Any of the above warranties by the Seller shall not apply if the Buyer’s vehicle is in an accident, misused, neglected, altered from the Product’s manufacturer
original designs or specifications or serviced in connection with a warranty claim hereunder without prior written approval of the Seller.
REMEDIES EXCLUSIVE
Repair or replacement of defective Products in accordance with the Limited Warranty above shall be the Buyer’s exclusive remedy for and shall constitute
satisfaction of any and all liabilities of the Seller with respect to any defect in any Product whether based in warranty, contract, tort, negligence, strict liability
or otherwise.
DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATIONS
The express warranties set forth above are exclusive and in lieu of all other warranties, conditions and terms as to quality or fitness of all Products supplied
by the Seller to the Buyer, whether written, oral or implied, statutory or otherwise, including without limitation, any warranties or conditions of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and all such other warranties, conditions and terms are hereby disclaimed and excluded by the Seller.
In no event shall the Seller be liable for any loss of actual or anticipated profits, loss of anticipated business, cost of substitute products, loss of use or
downtime costs or delay claims (whether direct or indirect) nor for any other special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of or relating to
this Warranty or the supply of Products to the Buyer, whether based in warranty, contract, tort, negligence, strict liability or otherwise. No employee or
representative of the Seller has the authority to make any representation, promise or agreement which in any way varies from the terms and conditions of
this Warranty. No suit or claim based on any cause of action, regardless of form, arising out of or relating to this Warranty or any of the Products supplied by
the Seller may be brought by the Buyer or anyone claiming by, through or under the Buyer against the Seller more than one year after the date that such
cause of action arose.
ASSIGNABILITY OF WARRANTY
This Warranty is for the exclusive benefit of the Buyer and is not assignable.
WARRANTY CLAIMS PROCEDURE
Warranty claim forms can be printed from the company website (ITP Diesel, LLC). A properly completed warranty claim form and a copy of the
invoice for any defective Product must be received by the Seller within the earlier of 30 days after the expiration of the Warranty Period or the incident giving
rise to the claim. To qualify for an adjustment under this Warranty the defective Product must be returned prepaid to the Seller for inspection and must be
accompanied by a dated proof of purchase receipt. In addition, the serial number of the defective Product, if any, must match the serial number on the
Buyer’s invoice. All Warranty claims are subject to approval by the Seller and/or the Product’s manufacturer. The Buyer must pay all applicable service
charges and taxes. Defective Products accepted for warranty compensation become the property of the Seller.
APPLICABLE LAW
The Warranty shall be governed by the laws of the State of Arizona (excluding Arizona law with respect to conflicts of law).
IN THE EVENT THE BUYER DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS WARRANTY, THE BUYER MAY PROMPTLY
RETURN THE PRODUCT TO THE SELLERFOR A FULL REFUND. THE PRODUCT MUST BE IN NEW, UNUSED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION, BE
RECEIVED WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE AND BE ACCOMPANIED BY A DATED PROOF OF PURCHASE (RECEIPT).
PRODUCTS RETURNED IN NEW, UNUSED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY RESTOCKING FEES.
THE INSTALLATION OR USE OF ANY PRODUCT PURCHASED FROM ITP DIESEL, L.L.C. INDICATES THAT THE BUYER HAS READ,
UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS WARRANTY.

#4 ·
Now i run the same kit, and i run erics race tune DD. I was having the same problem after this,i set it to 70 it stays there full throttle might see it hit 55 50 at the lowest. Before i was at 50 55 then i go to WOT it would pull it down to 10. Soon enough it was Idiling at 35 then 30 kept getting worse tell i called Dennis and this is what i found. hope it helps you.Dennis is the man!

And if im wrong o well ive got plenty of coors to sleep :O)

#5 ·
I hear alot of ppl say it pulls it down alot try explaining this to them and they say no i have a weak pump. well if you don't try this and replace the pump i think 1.00 for o ring and sometime is alot cheaper then 700 bucks for a "racing" pump. But i don't build HIGH PERFORMANCE DIESEL ENGINES SO I HAVE NO IDEA WTF IM TALKING ABOUT!

#7 ·
I did that o ring mod when I installed the RR kit.
I will pull it apart and make sure the o ring stayed in place.
When I talked to Dennis he said to turn up the psi at idle to 75-80 for a minute of two to see if it held psi and it did.

#9 ·
Yes they are mortorcraft and I have changed them twice in the last 1,000 miles to be sure it was not the filters.

#10 ·
Well no leaks on the fuel system,And its not rolling coal all the time,regulator is working right. Fuel pump seems to be going.....

unless you think you have a cracked pick up tube??? i don't know if that would cause drop in pressure but start with the easyiest finish with the hardest.

Im sure if i missed or skipped something they will chime in.

#13 ·
Yes
I have had a problem with the psi that is why I did the RR kit.

#12 ·
fuel filter! my truck did the same thing but would completley drop to 0 , it was the filter

#14 ·
I have changed the filters twice in 500-600 miles.

#16 ·
Stock fuel system has a regulator. Most A/M fuel systems disable the stock regulator and use an external one for adjustability, so unless you upgrade the pump, psi will drop.

#17 ·
Well it looks like I need to get a Airdog II.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.