Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Is my motor OK - Timing

16K views 132 replies 52 participants last post by  CATdiezel 
#1 ·
So should I be scared of 80e on PMR's with bigoil but stock injectors?

#2 ·
What about just a stock truck with 80e? I also have a related timing question. Are the negative effects of the tuning worse at higher or lower rpm? So if you were just using 80e for an on highway economy tune doing 70mph or 2k rpm, are the negative effects still harsh or do they worsen considerably at higher rpm?

#3 ·
When did you get your tunes..from what I remember from a post a while ago DP had a few corrupted files on the 80e so I would suggest calling him and ask him for info. More than likely your ok. OR You could always read the doz. of posts on this.

:popcorn:

#4 ·
Thanks mods for the moving this question. This question was originally in the cracked piston thread and was a follow up question to someone else who asked if there was a need to worry about big oil with 80e and stock injectors. I was curious about 80e without big oil and in what rpm range does increased timing cause the greatest trouble. For example, are the potential issues with increased timing made worse at higher rpm.
Personally, I am not that word about my specific motor. I only used 80e strictly on the highway and never heard anything that sounded terrible. The rest of the time I was mostly in stock or 40t.

#8 ·
Wow didn't realize it was made into it's own thread. I've had my tunes for about 18 months but they were just all changed when I installed the BO. So the tunes are less than two months old. I've just went to driving in my 120 setting. And I'm not looking for this to turn into a bashing thread.

#9 ·
The consensus is to contact the programmer and update (if needed) or have the tunes adjusted to your comfort level. No negative remarks or bashing have been involved in this post. It is for the members that might be concerned with comments in other threads so I broke it out to focus on this one question by the first two in the post.

#13 ·
This is my truck with the old stock motor and DP tuner 140. Back when I thought smoke was cool :doh:

Not sure if you can hear what you are looking for or not

#15 ·
The 80E has 12* of timing. Measured using our engine analysis equipment in the cylinder. It's very conservative on the timing.
Thats what Diane said in a thread some time ago. But we all know that isnt right.

#19 ·
But what about the people that never changed anything but had a motor failure and its apparent that there was to much timing that played a big roll in what happened. :poke:

With that being said I'm done with this thread. And anything to do with this subject.

This post has been deleted
#39 ·
If you would have seen the whole head you would think differently. I'm not the only one that thinks this ether. I'm just the only one that will say anything.

EGT gauge has always been PRE turbo

But sharing what you have experienced i guess isnt the right thing to do.

This is the last question im answering.

PM me if you have any more.

#51 ·
Good info Trey, and thanks for responding in here. I agree with Blowby and its important to keep these threads civil and maybe we all can learn from them.

On that note however, I don't think its fair to blame an engine failure on the tuner, whoever it might be, until such time as you can safely conclude that was the cause. Its not fair to the tuner to say so without some sort of evidence that tuning caused the failure IMO.

#52 ·
I never said it was ALL DP's fault just the evidence are there that it could place a BIG roll in it. The star pattern on the pistons, the cracks on the pistons and valve seats and even on the flat service of the heads. All of that points toward timing issues.

#55 ·
I know a motor that went to bits running just a TS chip that was idling in the driveway. It was a PMR motor but it still wasnt pushing out that much power to max the rods out. It was stock except for the chip. We didn't go and bash TS about it. Just something that you have to live and learn with. $hit happens and we all know it and the only thing we can do is to just make sure that we learn from where we messed up, and move on.

#58 ·
Ok I have read the whole intire post I had had my tuner tuned from him when the truck was all stock no nothinig. Now I have the 3 in dp. 1.0 turbo housing and a tymar intake and billet convertor. Should I have it re tuned or not.

#59 ·
I suspect that DP tunes more trucks than anybody these days so % wise he is going to see more failures.

I'm not really a mechanic but those cracked heads are not due to timing imo. Due to a loss of coolant imo which is unlikely to be caused by tuning.

Stock trucks break, especially 7.3s I'm sorry to say. A stock truck generally will have something like 1500 psi max CPs where-as even a properly tuned stock injectored truck can have closer to 2600 psi. If you have a borderline motor due to sloppy factory tolerances this could be enough to put you over the edge. That's just the way it is when you modify stuff.

#60 ·
There is cracks in the heads from lack of coolant that no one knows where it went and you are blaming tuning?

Whether tuning caused cracks in the pistons or not it was yours or anyone's choice to modify there stock vehicle.No one put a gun to your head.No one promised sweet cloud puffs of cream and sugar.I know for a fact back in TDS days there where cracks on lots of pistons.#### there where rods flying out of blocks too.

Keep jumping on band wagons.Like a bunch of sheep.One jumps off the cliff and the rest of the stupid animals fallow.

#96 ·
I know where the coolant went. It went into my oil since when I drained the oil I filled 1 1/2 5 gallon buckets :eek: And it was green :doh:

I know its not anyone elses fault. I know I'm the one the modded it. So I took full responsibility about it you didn't see me come on here and say DP blew up my motor now did you. I just said from what I can tell it played a roll in what happened from what I know, researched and been told.

I'm not jumping on any band wagons. I just want the issues to be fixed. and if its not going to be fixed then I'm going to tell people that there are BETTER tuners out there than DP.

Big stroker...how long did you run the bully dog chip and was it even in the same rig?
The bully dog was on my truck for not even 30 mins and i packed it up and shipped it back. I did have a TS on the truck for a couple days. and the tranny went out and I sold it and got the DP Tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.