Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front sway bar bushings and other suspension mods

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  OBSWIZ 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking into refurbing the front end on my Ex. I have had a front end leveling kit (extra leaf) and longer aftermarket shackles on the rear front springs installed for three years now and that has worked well, no sagging and not too noticeable change in ride characteristics over stock. I also added rear blocks off an F350 at the same time, so she is level with about a total 3 inch lift. I don't want to go any higher since it will not fit in the garage for maintenance work. I need to replace the front sway bar bushings and would like to get sway bar drop links that are a little longer since the 3 inches of lift has left the stock drop links a little short. I have 165K on the truck and they are now rattling and making noise that you can feel through the floor. I am also going to look into new hubs if needed and new tie rod ends.

Has anyone successfully used front sway bar drop links off a superduty, that are maybe a bit longer. Or aftermarket links??

Also looking for any information on other mods / adaptations anybody else has used. I would really like to get the front end working as close to "new" as possible.

TIA,
Pat

See less See more
#2 ·
What I would do:
Replace your 1 rear hanger with a correct 2" hanger kit..castor will be correct.
Install V and my B modded SD springs
Add a Rear 30mm rear SD sway bar
Flip the front sway bar frame brackets from the top of the frame flange to the bottom..works!
Install correctly valved Bilsteins..I highly recommend duals in front..only time I do.
Addition of a adj track bar to center your axle back as every 2" of lift will shift the axle 1/2-3/4"
165k miles..I'd replace the brake lines..all 5 with SS lines.

I have helped many many owners turn their Excursions into a much better handling truck..and a much better ride quality.

If you would like prices or additional info please email or PM me with your needs, please include info on your truck and zip.

I am a Dealer for: Garret turbos! Casserly Injectors! Icon Vehicle Dynamics, Rize, RCD, Full Traction, Pure Performance suspension, Bilstein,RS-SD kits for OBS trucks, BTS Trans, John Woods trans, STak transfer cases, Deaver spring, Tony Wildman chips,Stealth HPOP's, Tymar products and a Hella dealer among many others.
Custom SCT tunes by Cale at BTS!

If I can help you with your truck please let me know.

I also carry: Iron Bull bumpers,Proto Fab and custom bumpers and offroad specality products for Full size trucks,
Bronco's, Jeep or Toyota's!

Cary

#3 ·
I have a 2004 Ford Excursion EB 4x4 Diesel. I want to put a 2006 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel long box Fabtech 8in. lift on it. I am looking to transfer everything from the frame down to my frame, to include axles. Is this going to be possible?

I am pretty sure that I will have to get new drive shafts and steering arm.

My detailed questions are; if done right will my excursion be highway safe?, are the frames the same beside the length?, will the rear leaf springs mount w/o moving mounting brackets?, will the I-beam radius arms have room on my frame w/o hitting body mounts?, are the axles going to be compatible with rest of drive train?, will handling improve switching to coil front suspension (beside the 8in. lift part)?, what other parts will I need to buy and what other concerns have I missed?

I hope you guys have good news, Thanks

#4 ·
Yes it can be done but unless your getting a great deal on all the parts it might me cheaper, and will ride better, to get a Full Traction conversion.

heck I put 08 axles and front suspension on my '97 so yours is a piece of cake.

Cary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.