Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

head stud do it yourself question???

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  kingranch62085 
#1 ·
I am thinking about doin the head stud and egr delete kit myself but i want to know if anyone had done the head studs their selfs on here if so how big of a pain in the a$$ is it? Can it be done with the cab on or is it a deff cab off job and i want to change the head gasgets also. So if anyone can give me some info or pointers would be great!!

#2 ·
Ive heard that its a PITA to do with the cab on, cant torque the last studs cause your torque wrench hits the fire wall. Head studs wouldnt be anything i would do myself, but i did do my egr delete.

#3 ·
I also want to do it myself......until I open the hoodLOL

#4 ·
I also want to do it myself......until I open the hoodLOL
Yea a Ford engineer def won the bet for for shoving the most chit in the smallest space.:doh:

#5 ·
It's just the fact that the motor is so far back in the truck that makes it so hard. Guess I will just pay someone to do it.

#6 ·
I have read of two different people doing studs on their own in their driveway (so to speak). Both used different methods but accomplished the task. One guy tore apart the entire engine compartment to do it, another tilted the motor. Needless to say you got to have time to do all the work but it can be done by yourself.

#16 ·
I did mine with the cab on. The hardest part is trying to get to back bolt on the drivers side. I had to unbolt the bed and scoot it back unbolt the cab and shift the back of it over toward the passanger side as far as I could while still leaving the front drivers side bolt in but loosened. I also had to remove the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall and torque that #@%! nut with the torque wrench actually inside the cab with the head of it sticking out of the hole in the firewall. It was hard and time consuming. If I had to replace my head gaskets though and didn't own a lift I would have pulled the motor for sure. Oh also had to pull the AC off the passanger side since these bolts are like 37 inches long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.