Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pullin the motor soon

988 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wynndaddy 
#1 ·
I'll be pulling the motor out of my truck here soon. It has developed two pretty bad oil leaks, one is under the very front of the truck, the other is under the oil pan. I'm buying the front cover gasket set, rear main, and possibly two head gaskets. I'm also curious, is it true there isn't an oil pan gasket? I've had a few people tell me there wasn't one, so I was going with silicone for the pan.

Now, I've always heard, the time to build a motor up is while you have it out for something, so the heads are getting some mild porting, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this. My father-in-law builds drag cars, so he's doing this for me. I'm also looking into a set of 910 valve springs. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Thanks

#2 ·
I just got done with mine.

Yes, no oil pan gasket. RTV.

If you couldnt do it all, I would rather do a shortblock rebuild before I spent money porting the heads...... You can get a nice rebuild kit with almost everything for about 1K. As for the heads, make sure they check the valve guides. I had 111K on mine and mine were shot. I also opted to have them surfaced. Also, if your going to stud now is the time to do it.

-Matt

#3 ·
The heads would be done for free by my father in law, that's the only reason I was considering doing that, and I'm mostly pulling the motor to fix the oil leaks, the motor only has 70 thousand on it, and thank you for the stud suggestion too, I'll look into that

#4 ·
Oh shoot, 70K... if your maintenance was kept up you should just be broke in.

Yeah, studs, 910s and a set of good pushrods would be nice.

Good luck!
-Matt

#5 ·
I also had another question, I took the wife and mother-in-law to a truck pull this past weeked, and now the wife is wanting to start turning the ol' flat bed into a puller. I don't expect to even attempt hooking this year. I have had some pulling experience but it was in a 2wd alcohol pulling truck, and have been around super stock tractors since I was a little kid. I'm just wondering what's a good starting point for building the truck suspension wise (trac-bars, stop blocks, things of that nature). Any advise would be greatly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.