Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Leaking degas cap but no combustion gases

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  csilva187 
#1 ·
Hello I am new here, just got an 06 and it is leaking past the degas cap, didn't show any combustion gases in the cooling system, the garage thought it was the EGR cooler because there was moisture under the EGR, so did a EGR delete and replaced the cap and now is still doing the same thing, did the bubble test again and there is a steady stream of bubbles and if I rev the motor it increases but am confused with not showing gases in the cooling system? Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
sometimes if your block tester liquid is outdated, or is already green, it wont show a failure. take the small coolant hose off the degas tank going to the intake, and install a t fitting and put a gauge on it and drive it. if your coolant pressure goes over 12 psi under load, ur head gaskets are shot. especially if your cooler has already been replaced. hope this is helpful

#3 ·
Thanks, was really hoping there was another reason, bought the truck from a friend who owns a garage I have known for 25 years based on the maintenance records but the body was a bit rougher than I would have liked, the problem is he gave me the SCT programmer with it and wanted to try the the performance tune so his mechanic put it in the day I bought it and that might be the reason it blew the head gasket and said you shouldn't have put the tune into it but his mech did it. One of the local diesel guys quoted around 7k, another place it 5k and I don't feel I should be on the hook for this

#4 ·
You could have a weak cap also. Do you know what your oil temp is? I just went thru the whole headstuds/delete process and turns out my headgaskets were just fine.I'd try a new cap, delete the egr, and replace the oil cooler.

#5 ·
the suggested gauge will clear it all up one way or another in a short drive with a few WOT runs

the exhaust gas testing seems unreliable on this motor and i have seen some truck only leak with tunes but stock they are fine so maybe you should run stock first for your test

#6 ·
I am getting constant bubbles when I do the bubble test with the hose and increase when I increase the RPM's, running temps are fine according to the stock gauges, they sit in the middle of the range no matter how I drive it, I had the 65hp towing tune in it then just went back to the 50hp tune to see what happens and still getting seepage around the cap.
EGR cooler delete done but the EGR was left in place and installed a factory Ford cap after putting a aftermarket one on and when tested it was only hold 12-13 psi, drove it that day and seemed to be dry but after a 1.5 trip up some hills it was doing the same thing.
Owning for one day and this happens seems like it might have been like that before but I would like to think my friends would rip me off, already charged me for the EGR delete parts(760) but no labour and that seems high for parts.

#7 ·
I can't comment on your friend other than maybe you need to either hit this head on with him
or get it fixed somewhere else and learn not to buy certain things from friends like 6.0 Fords
being a ""mechanic"" He should have been smarter than to sell this to you if you are truly a friend without clear ground rules IMHO

#9 ·
Sounds to me like your "friend" unloaded a truck to you that he knew needed work.

$760 for just the delete? Umm yea, you can buy the delete a hell of a lot cheaper than $760. Find a new friend! Lol

#11 ·
6speedSD another guy saying 5-7k for head jobs =/ Florida needs to step there game up I guess. That or I need to up my labor costs lol.

But yeah man, those delete kits cost 200 then coolant and maybe a oil change the gaskets are only 22$ so maybe 300 in parts bud without a Oil cooler.

I would say your going to have to put a gauge on it as well. But I do believe 12 psi is still within spec. I believe 15 psi is the your ####s blown mark.

#12 ·
Yea man you need to up your labor prices! 5-7 is getting quite common.

To the Op, find yourself a new mechanic....and friend!

#14 ·
Yep, defiantly going to put an end to a friend ship if he doesn't do anything for me but considering what he charged for just an EGR delete I don't think he will, maybe if he splits the cost but I am still paying the majority of it if they do it at the shop because he is only covering labour at I'm guessing paying his guy 30 an hour.
The company I will most likely get to do it is Burnhousen, they are pretty local and seem to cover all the bases, machine the heads and exhuast manifolds is all inclucluded, I did ask about o ringing the heads and that seemed to stump him though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.