Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HIGH PRESSURE OIL PROBLEM

5K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
hoping you guys over here may have an idea , been fighting this concern for awhile and looking for ideas , this may be a long post but hope someone can help

i am running dual high pressure stealth pumps , with dual ipr's and four lines , my engine has 8,000 miles on it since redone, all new reman engine , any way , the problem started after a trip to montana , would crank fine cold and after hot or even after a few miles of driving , will not build enough high pressure oil to fire , has killed my power and , the truck has only 32,000 miles on it 03 7.3 , i used the original pump , and ipr at the front , and a new pump and ipr at the back , well then the problem started , so here is what has been done to try and eliminate this concern

removed and cleaned both ipr valves , didnt fix

replaced front pump with new and that would give me 2 brand new pumps ,

tore down and replaced both ipr valves just to see if that would fix it and it didnt

so now i have two new pumps , two new iprs

both valve covers have been removed to inspect injectors for leaking by , injectors had 20 miles on them when i went to diesel power challenge , no oil out of spill spouts on injectors plugged in or not

rewired ipr wiring all the way back to chassis harness , voltage is correct voltage t ipr's and duty cycle seems to be accurate with scanner

plugs in oil rails have been checked also , no external leaks under valve covers at all

icp sensor replced just on a guess , trying anything

base oil pressure is good and reservoir stays full reservoir cover was pulled and screen checked in reservoir

im at a big loss here and need any input i can get

See less See more
#5 ·
does it with chip out or in ,im a ford diesel tech , i use the ids to diag , icp pressure after warm is 400 cranking , just not quite enough , and is fine after running all in spec , but i can tell power is down

#6 ·
bolt on front has been checked and rechecked , the pumps have been off now 3 times looking into this concern , in first post i had stated i have correct voltage at both ipr's , and have rewired the harness completely for ipr circuit

thanks for the replies , keep them coming , cant even imagine what has been done to try and eliminate this problem

#8 ·
Yes it was wired in series, we get the correct IPR DC @ key on (14). We did rewire it opposite of directions and got like 24/26% @ key on.

#12 ·
not sure about lines , can pop them off and have a look , im willing to try anything , second set of injectors and no change to problem, the injectors only have 200 miles on them right now , and not seeing any signs of that being and issue , never ran into anything like this , thought about changing to a single pump to try , but that a expensive try and it be something else

#15 ·
yes they are brand new out the box ipr's , that what diag kept leading me towards was ipr , i did clean the first set , made no difference , the last set are new with less than 200 miles on them , still same concern

NEW ipr's...

Scott... aren't they the same 250's that Casserly built for your truck like 8,000 miles ago and then were "reworked" by him again about 300 miles ago, but are the same injectors?
yes they are marty , the same , if its an injector issue , i just dont see it , wish i had a set to try , as aggrivating as that may be , casserly was in kentucky that day , and we did discuss that

#14 ·
NEW ipr's...

Scott... aren't they the same 250's that Casserly built for your truck like 8,000 miles ago and then were "reworked" by him again about 300 miles ago, but are the same injectors?

#20 ·
oil has been changed like 3 times in 2000 miles , filters and oil are free to me so , it gets changed alot

Did you use the old coils off the old IPR's or brand new? I have heard of those going bad also.

I have heard of guys going through more then two IPR's on big oil setups...
brand new everything

Try the stock pump.
have been considering putting it back stock just to see what happens

Have you tried just 1 IPR? Pull one out the back one and plug the port (with the IPR plug that comes with the Stealth pumps), or wire it to see 100% DC (full 12v) and let the other one do all the "regulating".

Just a WAG...but it might be worth a try...
have tried wiring each one seperate , the thing about that is , if the ipr is bad even wiring it to be closed compleletly wont tell ya alot if the ipr is stuck, and i have considered goin back to one ipr , i do have the plug

I DO APPRECIATE ALL THE IDEAS , HOPE TO FIGURE THIS OUT

#19 ·
Have you tried just 1 IPR? Pull one out the back one and plug the port (with the IPR plug that comes with the Stealth pumps), or wire it to see 100% DC (full 12v) and let the other one do all the "regulating".

Just a WAG...but it might be worth a try...

#21 ·
Have you tried running it without the chip?

I know it will run a little funny due to split shot PCM but you could see if your ICP numbers did the same thing as on the chip.

Have you tried more than just the set of tunes currently on the chip?

#24 ·
Did you buy the pumps set used? IS there a way to make SURE the rear pump is spinning? Maybe the coupler is broken? If the rear was not turning, then with the extra area and lines, the front would have a problem supplying enough I imagine.

#26 ·
I think you need to check each pump individually. Take dual pumps out, install just the rear pump on the truck and make sure it works. If it does then install just the front pump and try it. If you find an issue with either pump on the truck, swap IPRs to rule them out.

Not sure what else to tell you at the moment....

#27 ·
I think you need to check each pump individually. Take dual pumps out, install just the rear pump on the truck and make sure it works. If it does then install just the front pump and try it. If you find an issue with either pump on the truck, swap IPRs to rule them out.

Not sure what else to tell you at the moment....
:whs:

A bit of work, but would tell a lot.

#28 ·
have considered putting it back stock just to see , the front pump would have to be put back to stock as well, lot of work , may have to do this , already done alot to try and fix it , whats a little more ,i want to fix this problem , i've taken it as a challenge at this point

#29 ·
I know you have spent a lot of time and money on it. But I have no way of narrowing down anything else that you haven't tried. Its time to test each component by itself instead of in a set. I wish I would have had more time to talk to ya down at TS about this, but at the time you were busy working on it, and I didn't really know that you were have this many issues with it. I was under the impression that you had just had an issue with it.

Jason

#33 ·
if the ipr is unplugged then it goes full open , which dumps the oil and it will just bypass that pump and will build no pressure out of either pump, i have hooked voltage to one ipr at a time , made no difference

#37 ·
i have 3 sets of those tools, hopefully blocking off will help with diag , the four line setup will be a little bit of a bear to make sure all is blocked correctly to run and still work off one pump at a time

#43 ·
you mean worn as in where the pump rides behind the balancer , the base pump, its a brand new front cover and new oil pump all was replaced when engine was , as far as being cracked where would you think it would have to be cracked to cause this issue , something to think about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.