Replacing front axle seal... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Suspension and Drivetrain
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Replacing front axle seal...

On my 03 Super Duty. I had a hub go out, inner needle bearings. Believe it or not they never made a sound to my knowledge. But I developed a rattle, and in looking for it saw some axle grease seaping down from the passenger side tube. Grabbed the universal joint, it wiggled up and down almost an inch. Outer bearing (Load bearing) was ok. drove it home last night, took it apart today. Found the needle bearings GONE,,, and the outer axle shaft ruined where that bearing rides at. So, I got the hub warrantied from O'Rileys. But now I need the outer axle shaft, and to replace the inner seal. Do I HAVE to remove the carrier? And if I do, does it need reset? (I don't have a clue how to do that...) Or can I just remove those four bolts in the Differential and bring that assembly out?

Thanks for any info in advance! I hope Ford has that axle piece in stock Monday morning.
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Super_Hauler
Super Hauler!
Member's Gallery

Re: Replacing front axle seal...

remove the 4 bolts on the back side, then pull the shaft with everything on it right out. Then you can put the new seal on there. The new seal is a PITA if you dont have the tool. I just used a peice of pipe and a hammer and a vise to keep the shaft still while i tapped the seal in. Its pretty easy to do once you get it started.
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
HERS:2001 F-350 ccsb notta stock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 05-31-2009, 12:59 AM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

NO, my diff is leaking grease. I need to replace the seal near the carrier. I am leaking out the end by the universal joint....
I also need to replace that large seal on the small piece of the axle. But the one that is leaking is way up by the gears.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 AM
slowleak
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

Jim take some pics of what your talking about. when you refer to the carrier, i would assume drive shaft...but your talking axles.
PMRCM#1
Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Super_Hauler
Super Hauler!
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
Jim take some pics of what your talking about. when you refer to the carrier, i would assume drive shaft...but your talking axles.

Ya driveline carrier bearing and axels are two totally different thing. I dont know of any diffs that have grease in them, but there is diff fluid in there if thats what your talking about. But like he said gets some pics and we will definitly be able to help you out.

Or are talking about leaking fluid from your yolk on the front side of the differential?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 AM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

ok, sorry, not "Grease" It's Gear lube, It is seeping out the end of the housing tube at the universal joint. So it's the inner (and only) seal that is leaking. (For that side anyway) I have the axle out and on the floor, I need to know if the carrier for the ring and pinion needs to come out to replace the seal in the differential. There certainly is not much room in there, that's for sure. If it needs to come out, I'll replace both sides of course.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:15 AM
rpm-inc
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Yes it needs to come out. Remove the bearing caps and keep track of orientation, which side, etc.

There is a special tool to install the seals. I tapped mine in with a socket. Hope it's ok, haven't driven it yet.

check out Home for parts
Old 05-31-2009, 04:30 AM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

So other than orientation, there are no worries about the gear setup? (Nothing will change in lash, ect...) I assume there is a torque value for those bearing caps? Anyone know possibly what it is? (I can find it from the Parts guy when I get the seals and axle I imagine)
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 PM
DIRTBIKEZ
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTJr View Post
So other than orientation, there are no worries about the gear setup? (Nothing will change in lash, ect...) I assume there is a torque value for those bearing caps? Anyone know possibly what it is? (I can find it from the Parts guy when I get the seals and axle I imagine)
85 ft-lbs for caps, 35 ft-lbs for diff cover. Do not mix up the shims. Easy Job really. :)
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 AM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTBIKEZ View Post
85 ft-lbs for caps, 35 ft-lbs for diff cover. Do not mix up the shims. Easy Job really. :)
Thanks, I didn't have ANY shims on either bearings race.... maybe the shims are between the bearings and the carrier? Looks like there may be some there.

IN any event, my NEW problem is getting the seals out!
You can see, there were no shims,,, The race laid right against the housing tube.

I got some of it out while destroying it,,, but the rubber is still in the housing?

Any tips on getting it out, and the other side too now? May as well replace both sides of course, since I had to tear it all down.

He!! too bad I don't need ball joints, I am all the way to them now,,that's all that would be left.
Tempting to replace them now, but they were done when I bought the truck,, so they "Only" have about 80k miles on them,, but they are MOOG and greasable, they should last much longer.

If I have more hub problems, I am really tempted to go with the Dynatrac system,, it looks pretty sweet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 154
01powerstrokin, 02powerstroke, 02stoker, 03Excursion, 07stroker, 2000XLifted, 2006Duty, 2ridgebacks, 351c, 389SixPack, 444-4D, 6.0_psd, ADJDWG, armalite, Ashby, Austinfqt, beav, Big Red S/C, bigo, BKB, BlackPearl03, blaze42069, bmw10494, Bowpassion, budman, BUFF, Bushwakd, C5dad, CALADASH, Calico5, ccrowd, cgaclifford, chappy, coope3, corey99duty, Dantheman, dauntejoel, dave jr, dblamp, Diesel Mack, dieselford000, Dieselgeek, DIRTBIKEZ, dixieland-diesels, dogmaticus, doubledoor, Drew2010, ernieb143, F-350, f350red, fishyPSD, Fiveohmatt, fordboy424, FordSuperDuty05, fowjacob, Gotti2k7, gt8249, gtobob, gunfixer, haymaker, Heavy_Duty, Hhgro, huck2080, hutchnoclutch, jcmagone, jdexcursion, jensenciv10, jeromejcp, jessduen1, JettBlack, JimTJr, Jngreen, JNORTON, Joedog, Jordy53, justind, kade625, kx450f, Layson, lep, lossscause, Macguyver, MagKarl, mattgw86, matthewd11, Metallitera, metso434, mgilboy, millertmenow, mjcolemn, moco, Moejoenorge, mrgto, mrplowjr_ez_v, mtmod50, mx185sw, nasty96, NDPSD, NELLY83, northern64, ocracokeisland, ohiopsdfordman, oil burner, OLD'SCOOL, Oscar1017, pa-powerstroke, Peroni, phercinger, Pipewhiner, prcj68, PSD2006, PSDfan99, PSDOWNER, PWRstroke_smoke, Ramblin'_Man, Rdh605, Redman84, reilly8282, rholman, rockNnachos, Rogue1970, rpenner54, rpm-inc, Ryan444, Santa Gertrudis, sgleshot, sick97psd1, silverslug, slowleak, smokeshowing, smokinstroker92, smoroz, southmike, Stringer Driver, Super_Hauler, suprhlr, tank, tank23, tch.280, theham1105, thunter95, Tj Krawler, tjohnny62, ToMorrow44, Tomtnwlkrs, towsurfer, travisH3, TWIM, Ursula, wargle, whodathought, winkfab, yostyf350