Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Brakes Leaking Fluid....What is it?

856 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
I got under my truck and noticed that both of my rear calipers are leaking/dripping fluid. it's flung all over the underside of the truck but it's definitely coming from the calipers. the master cylinder resevoir is still full but i've noticed that it's taking a little longer and needs a little more pressure to stop. I'm on a road trip right now so i've got to figure out what it is. Any ideas and/or should I take it into a brake shop now?? could i limp it back to dallas from tulsa or does it sound like something critical? also, i had to make a couple of hard stops yesterday if that might have anything to do with it. thanks!

#4 ·
If fluid is really DRIPPING from the caliper, then you'll need new ones. It is also borderline unsafe to drive if that is the case as well. I'd try to use the brakes as little as possible, check your brake fluid frequently and use the transmission if necessary to slow down as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend, if not mandatory to do reman. loaded calipers (including pads) and new rotors. I'd take a look at E brake shoes, as the fords' shoes tend to separate.

If you have it done at a shop it'll probably be 500-700$. with labor for the rears only. I would have the front brakes checked AT MINIMUM as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.