Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How to check and what to replace?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Weazel 
#1 ·
My truck has been running a little bit sluggish. It's an 04 f250 with 192,000 miles on it. I just bought it in January so I don't know too much about it. From what I've been reading it sounds like im having some injector problems. The truck is completely stock and I don't know how well maintained it was. Off the start as the rpm's climb it sounds like the turbo is working really hard and the transmission waits and waits to shift then finally shifts pretty hard. I want to check the injectors, ICP sensor and the IPR sensor. The dealership is way too expensive so I would like to do this myself if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
I would change the fuel filters first. They may be quite old plus bad filters will take out a set of injectors. This would be an asap kind of thing. If the engine low on power it will affect how the trans shifts. You really need to spend a weekend and change all of the fluids in the truck. It is likely the trans, transfer case, coolant and axles are origina fluids that the truck came with... Once you do this then see if it is driving normally.

#6 ·
Sounds more like ur trck is not making any boost,hence lack of power and late shifting,if trk sounds normal check egr valve if coked up.chances are tubo vanes are sticking .check map sensor hose make sure its clear.check ebp sensor,and last make sure air filter is good.on an icp prob i wld think it wld set a code if its an early 03 then it may be leaking [if its in the back by hpop] um good luck.

#7 ·
Yes the ICP sensor is in the back of the motor under the turbo. This would cause a bad idle as well. Since roughly everything is stock you probably dont have the ICP sensor updated to the pigtail sytle. Like said above check the EGR valve, pull it out and clean it up.

Try also taking your turbo off and cleaning it as well help with the vanes sticking if that is an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.