Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Add air bags or more leaf springs?

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  f250ford 
#1 ·
I am having problems with my truck sagging way to easily, and I feel for a 1 ton it should be able to hold its own or so I thought. I do tow prolly more than I should but when your trailer can hold it (25+5 Gooseneck) you feel like loading it up. I have tried to find other topics but no luck. So I am in the market for either air bags or leaf springs. I don't know what the maximum is for air bags but my heaviest load would prolly be about close to 30,000 behind me. (rarely) Its mainly just round bales being moved in short distances to the farm or me hauling the tractor. So if you guys can help me on whats the better way and what brand to go with I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Landon

#2 ·
I like air bags. If it still sags, just add more air:D However, I am not sure how much weight they can hold. I think the limit on my bags is to just not go above 100psi, I don't think there is a limit.

#4 ·
My trailer tongue weight is 1700, and I only have a 250. They work great! Highest I had them was 50psi, and that leveled my truck out.

#5 ·
Does your rear springs have the helpers above the main pack? I run doubled helpers with an exteded bumpstop for the helpers. My truck is touching the helpers all the time. In stock form the rear has to drop a good 2" before the helpers touch

#6 ·
I run a set of 100 psi air bags. I load the crap out of them all the time and have had no problems as of yet. The heaviest load so far has to be my 30 ft Dual Tandem Gooseneck with the 580M 4x4 Case Backhoe. I believe the backhoe weighs between 22k and 24k. I air them up till they wont hold anymore air and roll out (110 psi).

#8 ·
I have Firestone 5000# air bags and they work great. The double overload spring thing will jar your teeth all the time. With a 12000# trailer and my bags at 50# I'm still 2" above the overload leaf. Whan empty run 4-5# and have a stock quality ride. Just my $.02

#9 ·
Best part about bags is they are adjustable. You can back them down when empty. It's fun to go get a load of stone, mulch, etc with them aired up. The guy I go to usually loads until the truck squats. :D You could easily overload the truck if your not paying attention.

#10 ·
Sounds like I will go with the airbags, sounds like the Firestone's are the choice? How big of a air tank do I need? And do I really need the dual controllers? I would like to run a set of train horns off the tank as we'll later on and I should be able to. Could put a long skinny tank under my toolbox in bed I think.

Thanks guys

Landon

#11 ·
No tank buy the kit it comes with comp, guage and inflate/deflate switch mounts under the dash. I put my compressor in the toolbox in the bed. When droppin or hooking my toyhauler you can hook up and inflate them and take the stress off the landing gear motor. Same for dropping it, run the gear down till they touch, deflate the bags and you are off. I'm old and lazy, I really like them.

#12 ·
You do not need the tank but it sure is nice. instead of having to let the compressor air up the bags on its own, I just flip a switch that opens an electric gate valve and inflate the bags. My tanks have a pressure switch that causes the compressor to turn on when the tanks get below a certain psi then turn off when they hit 120 psi. I run a set of air horns along with the bags. With my tanks full, I can inflate the bags from 0 to 100psi in about 6 seconds. Get the tank.

#13 ·
I got my tank from a junkyard off of a wrecked big truck for $10. I think it is a 7 gallon. Mounted hanging off the frame under rear passenger side. Bought a Viair compressor. No need for dual controls unless you plan on doing front/rear. Mounted the Firestone switch in the dash next to the 4x4 selector. I'll try to get some pics of the tank mount and hose reel. No use taking up bed space for this mod.

#15 ·
Pretty nice install!!!!! Looks nice

#16 ·
Thats a sweet setup sagebal, I will have to try a setup like that when it comes time to install mine thanks.

Landon

#18 ·
I run dual Viair 450C compressors to a 3 gallon tank. I just use a tire inflating chuck, bag valves are either side of the license plate.

I have since run a quick connect into the bed area just inside the tailgate

#19 ·
I am using a Viair 460C. Mounted under hood in place of driver side battery. I mounted the Firestone air valve in the dash next to the 4x4 switch and put the guage for the bags in the dash to the right of the steering column. I am using a tank off a wrecked truck that was in the junkyard.

I also use male connectors and shut off valves on my hose reel and bumper connections. This makes it easy to clean off prior to connecting tools and the valves keep the system from bleeding down through the female chucks.

#20 ·
I ordered the air bags today got them through suspension connection seemed to be the best price. I was going to order the whole kit, with the compressor, guage, switch but I only ordered the air bags for now. They wanted almost $300 for the good compressor, and I wasn't sure how good it was so I skipped that and am going to price out some others. What did the Viair 460C run you and would you recomend it?

Landon

#21 ·
I don't remember what I paid for it but it was through a buddy who owns a 4x4 shop. I should have went with the 500 series since my tank is so big but the 460 does the job. Check ebay for some decent deals. Warn has a new line of compressors as well but I don't know how big they are so mounting may be an issue.

#22 ·
you will be happy with the airbags... I have the airlifts and love them, I wish I had a tank and compressor but I am waiting till I have money for horns and a nice tank set up. I just fill mine up with the air compressor at home if I know I am going to pick up a heavy load

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.