Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Welding Truck pics

188K views 90 replies 35 participants last post by  coupenasty 
#1 ·
theres pictures of all other trucks around, i figured we should get a little gallery of welding rigs goin. heres a couple I've collected.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here mine Military weld rig.

Part of my "work shop", is also my trucks, I'm in the US Coast Guard, and I travel around to units that need emergency repair. I weld, fabricate, and repair all sorts of ships, and boats.

Old work truck, w/ Miller 350D welder in back, pulling my work trailer

new truck(replaced blue truck)

a couple of my tools:

computerized shear

computerized break

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig

and I also have a 5 bay shop at my disposal...all have lifts. Tire machine, balancer,
brake lathe, more tools than HomeDepot, etc etc etc etc

#7 ·
gosh I love welding rigs...I work at a plant and their is a 08 6.4 welding rig fx4 black with black rims...ooooooh man I have a rise in my levis everytime I walk by it.

#8 ·
this was my old truck i traded for the 450.

i would love to get into pipeline and maintenance, but up here, its all different. one day it's hardfacing, the next it's a set of railings, and the next could be a coule of 30' beams. i wish i could set up the truck more, but i need the versatility. i have a removable fork for the rear to fit all the 20'-40' material.

#9 ·
Our newest one at work. We built the bed, everything on it. Custom torch lead reel I made myself. Nice not having to roll that hose up around some stupid bent pieces of faltbar. Some stuff I would have done different, but it turned out nice. Shame it had to be a duramax.

Couple more we have, the last one I think was bought from a guy from northwest pipeline. Def. not my favorite bed.
Looks like a boat, or maybe a corvette.

I like the short bed regular cabs the best as far as looks.
Jacked up a bit helps!!

Attachments

#14 ·
Those are some sharp looking rigs! All of those are nice, and I'm sure custom flat beds, sweet looking rigs guys!

#17 ·
thats one bad truck...but why would you pull out a good motor and put a cummins in it??? any way's thats alot of $$$$ in that truck

#22 ·
I remember hearing that, that truck from destroked had some major problems with the 6.4 they pulled out of it.

#23 ·
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/dribone/Erics20truck12.jpg[/quote]
dang it, cant get pic to come up, plz help mod.s!

love the rigs but i'm salivating over the (sound) block job about right now! damn i need to pick up a job like that.

#27 ·
Theres lots of work for welders right now.
But only if ya dont mind traveling. The pipelines are having a hard time keeping good welders on hand.
Pretty much pick and choose your jobs.
In six months you can make enough to take the rest of the year off if you play your cards right.

But you better be good at your trade !

Oh, and theres this....
anyone can learn to weld. A good welder thats a great fabricator is much better!

#28 ·
I always like the pipeliner rigs... I run a 2wd single wheel Ford with a cap and a roll out tray. With the kind of ordimental work that I do, a big full on welding rig would just be a PITA to park.

I have an old Lincoln SA-300D out behind my shop, and I've kinda been thinking of building a body for the Dodge. That would be a beast of a pipeliner truck, but I don't really have any use for it other than as a write off. It would still be sweet to set it up old school with the SA. Kinda like a "era-correct resto-rod work truck" :lol

#29 ·
i would love to get on a pipeline, but theres none of that up north here.
i think my miller with the diesel in it would chug along all day just fine. i always joked with my fiance about runnin off for 6 months to work on a pipeline and then come back home. she didn't like that too much.

right now, ornamental work is kinda slow, and misc. installers (that i know) are only workin 1 or 2 days a week.

#30 ·
Dang, how far north are you?
If you can pass the test, they'll put you to work.
Pipe welding is a whole lot different than most people think. Most all of our stuff is x-ray tested on every weld.
At least on anything above two inch now I think.
They test you before starting work, I believe now, they use a 12 inch on a 45 t, and cut straps out of every quarter, bend them looking for cracking, then break them to look for trash. Must have 100% bead inside, and be clean to pass.

We tied in a few cutouts last year on 42" and something like .500 wall in alabama. Takes a while to fill up .500 wall.
Bad magnetism too. That will eat your lunch if ya dont know how to get rid of it!! lol

few pics from some of the jobs I got to help on....
Mostly maryland, couple from alabama

Attachments

#31 ·
CT. nothing happens up here. I'll drive down to Maryland to work, are you kidding me?

I haven't taken the test up here, but when i was workin down in FL i did all the pipe welding at Southwest Florida Int'l Airport for the fuel tanks at the new rental car agency. worked under the bosses certs.

Did a lot of pipe casing too, only with a wire feed (even down in the pits) so pipe work isn't new to me.

#41 ·
CT. nothing happens up here. I'll drive down to Maryland to work, are you kidding me?

I haven't taken the test up here, but when i was workin down in FL i did all the pipe welding at Southwest Florida Int'l Airport for the fuel tanks at the new rental car agency. worked under the bosses certs.

Did a lot of pipe casing too, only with a wire feed (even down in the pits) so pipe work isn't new to me.

Is this in Fort Myers?

#36 ·
bringin this one back. Just recently i re-built the top half of my bed. got some nice underbody boxes that i m ounted up top, and added a box to house my cables (with reels) kinda out of sight out of mind type of thing. I also installed a 10' tower light for night work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.