Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Little update on my rag

3K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  jtharvey 
#1 ·
Some people have been asking me whats going on with my truck, since it stopped running, broke, on april ~8 i think..

So far i found out the heads were cracked between the valves on 6-7 of the cylinders, and the one that the valve seat fell out of was cracked down into the exhaust port too. Guess i SHOULD pay attention to the EGT gague:doh:

So i got me some used stock heads with low miles, touched the ports up a little bit with a die grinder, they were magnafluxed to be OK, and they're getting new valve seats that won't fall out as easy, machining etc.. Also machining some grooves out of the oil pump surface on my front cover.

I sent the pistons and headers out to california (RPM eng) to get a new piston made, and weight matched to the other one, because it is balanced.. They are putting ceramic and teflon on the tops/sides of the pistons, new rings, and coating the headers with a 1700* coating inside and out.. THey should be done soon, maybe on their way back by now..

Here at my place i have the engine torn down, found out i need new main bearings as #3 had a nice groove in it that would catch your nail, i welded the cam gear (still stock), welded the oil cooler jets to the plates they mount to, as i found one in the pan:doh: with only a few hundred miles on the engine at that!

I took the solid lifters and roller rockers out, and i'm putting stock valve train back in aside from the springs and push rods.. I got a few parts in so far, im building me some up pipes that wont warp and bend out of 321 stainless,

I also finished up my traction bar project.. here are some more pictures..

Here are the pictures to all the other stuff.. from there forward..

IMGP2202 pictures from friends fun photos on webshots

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking good Kris. Sounds like a good plan of attack.
Good luck from here on out.

#8 ·
Ouch!!! That is a sore subject to be bringing up.:doh:

#12 ·
Hmmm...:doh:

j/k, buddy. I want to see this thing running well for you. I hope it's all sorted out this time.

Did you follow any guidelines for the bars or just kind of fab 'em up as you went along?

#13 ·
jim i just used a mig on mine put 2 one or two inch beads on each tube, never split.

#14 ·
I pictured something up in my head, cut out cardboard templates, taped them together, made sure it was where i wanted all the points to be, then traced them out on a piece of steel, had a shop do a "plasa cut" that looked more like a blind squirrel pushing a torch around, so i had to clean them up, and then welded them together. Im suprised how well they came out, they aren't "perfect", but nothing on my truck is..

Jim, for welding the tubes i ground off as much paint on the two surfaces, then welded a bead of tack welds around the tube, as to not get too much heat in it and burn the oil, or burn through the housing... :eek: They did look ugly, that was just burning the paint out. Then did it again, it looked better, i got 3-4 rounds on it before i could move the puddle around and get it to look like that. I also wirebrushed the crack to get more paint out , thats why the drivers side looks better than the passenger side i didnt put a picture of! lol

#16 ·
looks good.

In your sig it said "over engineered traction bars"

wait till you see mine I'm making :doh:

#27 ·
Nice truck and mods but why are you updating us on your rag? If you are on the rag, isn't it kinda personal? :shrug::shrug:

#29 ·
Another little update.. Got the heads almost done at the machine shop, they are looking good . I had to take the valves up to him that originally were in those heads, as the stems on the valves out of the orange truck were "thin", for the new bronze valve guides he is putting in.. The heads are resurfaced on the deck and the exhaust sides, the exhaust sides needed .008" to true them up..

I put the new coated main bearings in the block, torqued the mains down with the girdle to measure them.. the crank is within .001" OOR on all 5 journals, polished and ready to go.. However the block with the bearings are *up to* .006" out of round on one, and .004" out of round. I took the bearings out and they are all within .001" except for the one which was .006, it is .002" out of round without bearings.. So i am taking it up there and having it line-honed, again i guess. Then he will play around and get the bearings to match up. Also install the water jacket supports that are with my new fire rings/gaskets (third set, dammit :doh:)..

Got a new oil pan, decided to line-x it, so no more rust, holds up better than paint and looks bad ass.

Also, the new up pipes are back from the coaters, the dumbasses only did the outsides for show i guess, so i am going to take it back there and get the inside of the pipes and turbine coated, is it worth it?

#32 ·
I would definitely have the inside of those pipes coated. Otherwise the coating on the outside could just hold extra heat in the pipes, leading to premature failure.

Pan looks good...I like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.