Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Towing in 120 Race

9K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  TrailerHauler 
#1 ·
I towed my 9000lb RV trailer 700km's in my 120 Race tune and it seemed to be the most effective for EGT's. Even better so than the 60 Tow. Is there any downside of this? I never went over 1200 deg. Seemed to work well.. Anyone else do this?

#3 ·
I ussually tow in a higher horsepower setting and just drive by the gauges. Seems to work out pretty well. With the hybrid inj I have now, I usually tow in the 120 setting if my temps are ok, but if they are getting out of hand I'll back it down a setting till I find the one that works the best for what I'm towing. As long as you watch your gauges and adjust driving style/power accorddingly, you should be fine

#5 ·
I definately drive by the guages. Once in a while I have to get out of it on a hill to keep temps down. So no harm seen then eh?

#6 ·
I don't see any problem with it if the guages say your alright. But like matt said I would make sure theres not a large advance in timing keeping it within temperature.

#7 ·
How does DP usually have their 120 race tune for timing?

#8 ·
I read in a thread on another site about 2 people having a DP tuner and burning holes in their pistons. They said they were in the eco tune most of the time. Which is very likely a high timing if they have holes in their pistons.

#10 ·
i have towed in the extreme setting on my 08 before, temps stayed low so i kept going. no real problems aside from too much smoke

#16 ·
I guess thats why everyone has been trying to sell thier DP's.

#17 ·
My tuner rarely leaves the 100hp performance tune. I tow with it and is my daily driver tune. I like my DP tuner.

#18 ·
Mines not a daily driver,but i like my DP tuner also,no complaints.

#36 ·
I have heard a lot of stuff about DP-Tuner's 80E, but I have never heard of any DP tuned trucks burning a hole in a piston. :blah: :blah:

#23 ·
I've never driven a truck tuned by anyone but DP. I do like the tunes, they just seem to be a little harsh shifting. I'd like to try some others just to compare, but unfortunately I'm broke.

I usually just leave mine in stock though because I drive like an old lady :poke:

#30 ·
i don't see the problem towin in your hot tune.... i towed back from bowling green to nashville with the race truck and 4wheeler on the trailer in Drag3B...no problems at all... egts would race up pretty quick but i would pedal out at 1300, plus, my injectors arne't big enough to hurt anything, not like it'll burn to the ground....that tune rocks, the truck usually lives there, gets pretty good fuel millage too

#34 ·
I know you were Steve,can't wait to see-yall again.now i gotta get back to cleaning my motor.:doh:LOLLOL

#37 ·
Kinda got me concerned there to, since I'm towing moderate (6800 lb, 25' TT) with the 80E. Jody said it'd be OK as long as I watched EGT's....

#39 ·
(I'm certainly not bashing DP), but it caught my attention when someone made a reference to the 80E burning pistons...so is this hearsay, or a real experience of someone here, or ????

I was gonna buy a DP chip when I get around to upgrading the injectors, so that's why I'm bumping htis thread up.

#40 ·
Here is a link where I read about the DP tuners and engine problems. Not sayin that's what caused it but everything seems to point towards the tuner itself. I have heard good things about DP tuners also but, I am more likely to go with a TS or Matt Robinson at Gearhead.

I won't get banned for posting negative info from another forum will I?
Just a little valuable info.

The 3rd post on this page is where the related info starts.

Best Plug In Chip or Tuner? - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#41 ·
Wow, those are the first really negative posts I've seen about DP. I dunno what to think now...It'd be really nice if Jody could put our (my) fears to rest by directly addressing such (alleged) problems. I've heard so many good things about his stuff, and his 80E burn for my PCM sure was better than stock, plus he's been helpful the couple of times I've spoken to him over the phone.

(I certainly hope cross-posting to another forum doesn't cause a problem for you--maybe just directly quoting the two or three pertinent comments would keep everybody happy).

Perhaps these were two isolated instances? But the two posters didn't seem to be abusing their engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.