Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Too much coolant?

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RescueF250 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2004 CC PSD with 60K miles. I went to look at the coolant level and couldn't tell where it was. I took off the cap and the coolant is all the way up to the black part of the degas bottle. No puking or smoke. Engine sat over night. Should I pump some of it out? Is this a sign of something bad?:confused:

#2 ·
Make sure that there is no oil or fuel contamination in the coolant first.

If its clean, then someone prolly jusy overfilled it, set the coolant back to the proper level by draining it.

An overfilled degas bottle can cause puking as there is not enough room for the coolant to expand when it gets hot

#5 ·
You can see it, if there was oil on the coolant the degas bottle would have a black redidue all over the inside of it, if there was fuel in there in would be floating at the top and you would smell diesel in it.

#6 ·
Well it sure does not smell like diesel. There is some kind of dark sediment collected on the bottom of the degas bottle. It seems to be like dirt or probably rust. Its kinda crunchy. It does not flow/move around the bottom of the bottle like I would expect oil to do. Rust? This is not good is it? Should I still lower the level to the min line?

#9 ·
The coolant is yellow (to a yellow with a slight green tint) if you put it into a white cup. The crust at the bottom may be casting sand or a sealant that ford puts in the coolant system during manufacturing. Just lower the level and don't worry about it. Somebody was trying to do you a favor and added coolant but just added too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.