Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

coolant temp gauge

2K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  black_pstroke 
#1 ·
just wondered if anyone else was running an aftermarket CTG. mine kinda has the appearance of the face "fogging" up. just wondered if maybe i dont have something hooked up right or if there is something else i can do to fix the problem.

#2 ·
I just got one, but mine is full electric. Is yours mechanical?

#6 ·
Well that means coolant runs to the back of the gauge. I would never buy mechanical, just for that reason. My only mechanical gauge is boost, and it fogs up if it's less than 20 out.

#8 ·
:doh::doh: i should have done more research on this:doh: just curious about a few things,, how does the coolant run to the back of the guage, the only thing hooked to the gauge is wiring?? unless it just heats the wire making it condensate on the gauge face?? and since we are here one question on the boost gauge when i start to peg out around 32psi. the needle on the boost gauge starts flickering.. is that bad???

#9 ·
My boost did that on my old tuner, now with custom tunes I only hit 24psi, and it doesnt flicker. Maybe coolant doesnt run to the back of the gauge:shrug:

#12 ·
I have Matt's @ Gearhead automotive perf. and Eric@innovative. Both hit 22 before i did my exhaust, then 24 after. My hypertech hit 32.

#11 ·
on the newer gauges I think they use an isolator that stops the coolant from entering the cabin..all you have is wires..If the gauge is fogged and you bought it brand new, you need to contact autometer and they will probably send you a new one.

Boost gauge should not bouce..is it tapped into the map senor or the intake elbow?

#13 ·
Adam, mine only bounced at WOT with my hypertech. On SCT, no bouncing...I am taped into the intake elbow.

#18 ·
Just as a warning, if you decide to go with electrical gauges, they get pricey for a full sweep.

#20 ·
There are full sweep and short sweep gauges from AM, let me show you:
AM full sweep:here
AM short sweep:here
You can see why I like full sweep better...

#22 ·
Plus there easier to read...

#24 ·
Call Autometer @ (866) 248-6356 about the fog. I'd wonder if it's bouncing do to it being pegged and trying to go higher. That's why I went with a 60psi mechanical boost gauge.
As for the full sweep being more expensive- they aren't really that bad if you know where to buy them. I buy new C2 full sweeps and they aren't that bad of a price- all depends on where you buy them :shrug: :D

#25 ·
Ya, I looked up short sweep trans, about $50. Then I did full sweep, $170!

#28 ·
contacted autometer this morning they said the only thing they can do is put a non fogging lens on the water temp he said the fogging is common some do it some dont..and the boost gauge needs more dampening. the guy said ford and dodge diesels boost run off pulses and that is what makes the needle flicker and they require more dampening.. he said all of the upgrades are free i just have to pay shipping.. only downfall is it takes about 1 week to get them in get it done and shipped back out

#29 ·
At least they are doin what you want. Good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.