Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need advice on a high HP build

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  444-4D 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my 1st post here, great site.I dont have access to the builders or tuners as you so just added the mods in sig a few years back and have enjoyed the truck as a DD.

Have decided to take the next step and purchase a complete rebuilt 7.3 and auto, ship it to Australia and drop it in. Truck gets little use these days so may as well have power to boot.

As i cannot just drive in and out of a sponsors shop i need to rely on a tried and tested combination and realise that maintenance and upkeep required.

What sort of power levels could be pushed using the right components and taking the above comments into consideration. ?

Have heaps more questions but will start here first.

#4 ·
My goal is to run in the high 12's. I need HP numbers to equal this together with supporting driveline upgrades. I would like to say 700+ for bragging rights etc as it sounds brilliant (mind you anything over 400 sounds great) but i cannot equate was power level is required for this ?.

#6 ·
Go to the sponsors link and contact Swamps. Also prepare to spend over $10K US. Hopefully the exchange is in your favor.:D

#9 ·
Assuming that your truck weighs approx 7400lbs, to get into the 12s, you would have to have at least 560hp at the rear wheels.

Expect to pay $15,000-$20,000 with the tranny.

....and if you really want 700hp+ 7.3, expect to pay even more.

#10 ·
66mm H2E and a set of 250's. If you have forged rods from the factory you won't even need to get a motor shipped to you.

#11 ·
thanks for the feedback guys. Exchange rate is not in my favour and then we throw freight costs on top, yes a lot of coin but this is the path i wish to take.

Will let you know how i go

#12 ·
My advice is to not do it, unless you have a very fat wallet. I did just what you're looking for, except i want mid-low 12's, truck has the potential but it's very fat, however i've come to the realization that not many have luck keeping a high (very high relatively) HP 7.3 on the road, running well. I'm at the point if someone offered me enough $$ for the drivetrain, i'd gladly take it, get my truck running, pay the bank back, and then putt around in the stone age with my dead platform.

#13 ·
Well maybe putt around with a hybrid/38R combo again. That was a blast and lasted a long time with little maintenance.

#17 ·
am i seeing things or what but his sig says a 06 7.3??

#19 ·
Your sig says 06 7.3....scratches head
What year truck is it, o6 would be a 6.0.

If it is a 7.3 year can make a diff in parts

#20 ·
My 2006 is the same as your 2003 as Australia never received the 6.0 from Ford. Due to emmision issues Ford Australia no longer import the 250 and the last batch shipped to us was February 06. (they were put together in Brazil- as our steering is on the other side and they run pmr's).

I understand you pay to play and i really have no other options as i will hang on to the truck for a long time.

Its a logistical nightmare but i wish i could use my engine and tran for the build as i only have 26,000 since new.

Can you tell me what type of maintenance is required (other than an open cheque book)for a 12 second engine that will not be a daily driver.

Are you folks constantly in and out of the shop with repairs etc as i can handle this (sort of) but will be in strife if it needs a psd techo leaning over the engine bay for hours at a time. All replacement performance parts come
from the States and the turn around is actually very quick.

Sorry for long winded blah but as you realise purchasing a 15-20k package over the phone will be a challenge.

#21 ·
Call Swamps, get the "Scotty/Brian" Package. Scotty has been running low, low 12's for a couple years now, and Brian is consistently running 11's in the 1/4 on fuel, both are running the stock longblocks.

Dial that down to mid to high 12's and forget about it.

It doesn't get any easier than that. Anybody that can't pull that off at this point is just overcomplicating things. A good running forged longlblock is all that is needed to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.