Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Really need some help guys, I cant figure out whats wrong!

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  SKINNER 
#1 ·
So I cant figure out what is wrong with my truck:confused: I could really use some help!
SYMPTOMS:
-puking coolant out of the cap
-truck barley runs at certain temp with total power loss. (sometimes dies)
-leaking a little oil out of the top of the motor..

since I took my edge out the problem wasn't quite as bad but now its coming back to be as bad.....

I just dont know whats wrong....:confused:

#6 ·
i think it a head gasket or a bad cap.... but does anyone know the symptoms of a blown head gasket

#7 ·
At auto parts stores you can get kits that will tell you if there's CO or CO2 (can't remember) in your coolant. That's the sign of combustion gases going into your coolant. If you follow the directions closely they're accurate.

It could be a head gasket but I wouldn't sound the alarm yet.

Do the coolant test an oil change and drain your coolant, check for each of either mixing. If you blow a head gasket you should have them mixing. After all that you should have a better idea.

#9 ·
EGR coolers will also push The Co into the coolant. Mixing oil and coolant does not necessarily mean Head gaskets either. Bad oil coolers sometimes tend to mix oil with coolant.
I'd take a look into the EGR passage under the valve for a look at the intake manifold to see if you have a possible blown cooler.
I have seen some instances where an overheat event will cause a sort of limp mode if I'm not mistaken.

#10 ·
Im wondering if its an electrical problem??? cause when the truck reaches a certain temp it idles up the I start hearing this staticy noise come from under the dash.... then it idles rough.... and when i shut it off and go to turn it on I dont hear the fuel pump come on.... ill let it cool for a while then it will start right up and run fine.

#12 ·
dont think it could be a bad cap?

but I dont think the gaskets are why it is running like crap at higher temps...
at lower temps it runs fine....

#13 ·
If its doin it constantly probably not the cap, Mine use to ppuk alot, but not all the time only when I got on it real hard, I changed the cap, $9.50.
This helped about 80%, still puks some when I in it hard.
Havent done the egr delete yet, Really need this>

#14 ·
yeah i only saw the puking after getting on it hard! I do not have an EGR delete either. but I would really like to know why it runs crappy at certain temps. I think the edge screwed my computer up:confused:

#15 ·
you should pressure test the coolant system..anything over 12lbs is bad news..

take the degas cap off and smell it..if it smells like oil..thats bad..

if its puking..signs point to headgasktes.

If it were the EGR cooler..you would (in most cases) be pouring white smoke out the tail pipe.

#30 ·
You going by the gauges in the dash or analog gauges for the temp readings?

no codes.... thinkin about tryin to sell her in rough condition at the auction this weekend.... probably could get what i owe on it.... maybe buy a 12v, little more basic technoligy....
What are you using to pull the codes with- something like NGS, AE, etc or an edge or some other kind of tuner?

#20 ·
not yet... im not worried about the coolant right yet... i know its something electrical that is making my truck barely run at higher temps... and after running a while

#24 ·
no codes.... thinkin about tryin to sell her in rough condition at the auction this weekend.... probably could get what i owe on it.... maybe buy a 12v, little more basic technoligy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.