Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Starting an engine build

3K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  BeastPowerX10 
#1 ·
Ok guys I plan on pulling the motor tonight and am probably going to rebuid im looking for 500RWH what al do you suggest I put on it? Also Would a block from DI be a good starting place I can use mine if need be but just wondering on where to start.

#2 ·
id get your block out get it to a good machine shop, get them to see what the smallest over bore you need to go then order your pistons. once they get them in they can bore each hole to fit each piston. resuface the block, bore it over to whatever it needs.get it line honed or at least checked. new cam bearings put in it. id also get a good set of rods if your lookin for 500 id go high dollar.then get the machine shop to balance it all. Get the heads reworked and install new high rpm springs. Then of coarse get your big injectors and turbo. throw it all together with some head studs and get some good tuning. BTW dont skimp on the head/block resurfacing or the head studs. and make sure your rods you put in there will hold up. Thats my advice. If your gonna do any of it you might as well do it all right.

#3 ·
Call David and ask him what you need, and then have him do the complete build so you don't have the problems that others have encountered with too many shops involved in the process. ;)

#5 ·
Even though I know there is a Dave at Swamps... it sounded like you were saying call David (Lott) at Swamps diesel :D

#6 ·
Would he have new or any spare heads layin around Im ganna guess that my heads mayb cracked from talking to others but havent takein it to the machine shop yet to see as its still in the truck :doh:

#8 ·
Based on your tuner of choice, 500hp, to keep it together you will probably want billet rods. For other companies, 500, 550hp is perfectly fine on the shortblock you have now if nothing is wrong with it, i didnt see where it was. Pull it out, flip it over, remove the oil pan, put new main and rod bearings in, retorque everything good, and put a new oil pan on. Pull one bolt out at a time to put studs in, while the injectors are out, do the valve springs....

#9 ·
I plan on getting a different tuner Im looking into getting somethin from matt

#10 ·
another place you might want to check out is blackwidowdiesel.com they will have all the new heads and internal engine parts you will need to make well over 500hp

#12 ·
Black Widow Diesel : BWD machined long block 7.3

Anybody ever buy one of these It looks like a start towards the build but I dont really know to much about Black Widow ive heard lots of bad and a few good but I dont know if thats juat hearsay

#13 ·
Also If I get the head Fireringed will i still need headstuds or not?

#21 ·
im not sure what the big upset is about black widow now im not standin up for anybody so dont take this the wrong way but one of there engines is in a 99 f-250 where im from and its puttin down 620hp to the wheels so it was just a suggestion

#25 ·
How important is porting and polishing the heads? Is the drop in egts and increase in air flow worth the money?

#27 ·
Thanks I wasnt sure. next question is intercooler. Should i get a bigger one if so where should I get it?

#30 ·
Upgraded Intercoolers are a waste of money IMO, your egts are gonna be sky high either way. Early model 7.3 coolers hold up good. I am currently running 62lbs of boost threw mine.

As far as the engine.....i wouldnt pull it out unless theres something wrong with it. Miles doenst seem to hurt these engines....i am runing 600 plus on a 237k mile engine. Stock Rods and block.

Some swamps tuning, 250-300cc injectors, gen3 oil, fuel system, comp 910 valve springs, head studs, hypermax turbo kit, sledgehammer turbo......should easily get you 500-550hp pretty safely on a stock block.

#33 ·
Ok so far Im getting A GTP38R turbo,Itp Regulated return with aeromotive fuel pump, comp 910 springs, push rods not sure whos yet, Arp headstuds( are these reusable?), adrenaline pump for now,tunes from gearhead and injectors but Which one of these 2 should I get? Im looking at DI's Mini me's and swamps 250cc hybrid injectors, with larger, custom nozzle. Which one do yall think wuld be the best bet?and what are your experiances? also may get a fluidamper but dont know if itll be worth the price anything else im missing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.