Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6 speed and boost

3K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  6.0 six speed 
#1 ·
For you guys running a 6 spd behind your 6.0.....

Around what RPM do you really start building boost? For me, it seems like I have to get it up around at least 1200-1300 before it kicks in. I've heard most of these VGT's are bad with turbo lag, so I'm assuming this is the reason. Starting from a stop in first, this thing is a pig until you get the rpms up. Where it really gets me is say turning from one street onto another. RPM's are too low to shift to 3rd, but too high for 2nd. I usually go on into 3rd, but it feels like I could push it faster up to speed than it gets there on it's own. I'm sure this is normal, but just annoying. Are you guys seeing the same?

#3 ·
Yea, I want a SCT BAD! I'm still running stock everything, so I'm a little scared to. I know they make a stock head stud tune, but I still don't want to take that chance. I know if the power is there, I won't keep my foot out of it.

#4 ·
Just get it:evil

#5 ·
Ok well lets try this. Who's running an SCT on stock head studs? And for how long? Any issues?

#9 ·
Im running mine on stock head bolts. Eric's tune and Matt's, no problem yet with either of them...

#6 ·
I've been running mine for a year with either DJ's Looney or Eric's Xtreme street and haven't had any real issues. I still want to do studs though so I can crank it up some more.

#8 ·
I've heard that also. But is it still fool proof? I mean, I know nothing is fool proof when you start throwing alot of power into these things, but would it be something I'd constantly be thinking about everytime I wanted to mash on the pedal a little harder? Or are their non-studded tunes really that safe?

#10 ·
With all of the 6speed 6.0 vehicles I've dealt with, they all seem extremely laggy and feel as if they have no power band, especially in the lower gears such as L-2. I've never had any experience with any programmed 6speeds however, I'd really like to know how they feel!

#15 ·
i;ve had the sct for a few months now. i just running the tunes that are already on the chip no studs. the lag is lifted alot, no more of the slippin your clutch to go into a busy innersrction. i got a upgradded turbo so i just a tit-bit more laggy than i want but i am sure once i get the custom tunes i will be 110% happy instead of 100% happy. go with the sct and yout issues will be gone, even on the lower hp tunes the lag is much better than stock

#16 ·
Well, you guys almost have me talked into it. Now comes the fun part.... finding a way to talk the wifey into it..... oh this should be interesting!

#17 ·
Tell her it will increase the mileage, saving money;)

#19 ·
Well it's not so much the point of buying something for the truck that she doesn't like. We are planning on trying for a baby this fall, so we're trying to get things paid off before that happens. Trying to save money where ever we can..(i.e. no mods).

#20 ·
Hey truck should get better mileage with a tune, so that will save you money in the long run.

#22 ·
I can't really complain about the mileage I'm getting now. I'm averaging around 17, which really isn't bad for a 4x4. Considering my last truck was a 2wd gasser with a V8, and it only got 15-16.

Before I even consider the tuner, I have to get myself set up with some gauges. That is up next on the to do list for sure before anything else.

#23 ·
Gauges are quite pricy...

#26 ·
I have been running Erics tunes for about two years now and have had no problems. Must have gauges. They are alot cheaper than a new motor. The only problem I have had is that I had to put a South Bend clutch in. The stocker would just not hold.

#34 ·
PM sent, dont want to buger up the thread.

#35 ·
Haha I was just thinkin the same thing! I thinks it's too late, derail done:D

#36 ·
Summit has Z series gauges with the pod for around $260. That's only 2 gauges though (pyro and boost). With the 6spd, I won't need the trans temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.