Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

proper tuning?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  rocketron 
#1 ·
hi i am new to this site and have found lots of great information, my truck is a 02 f250 lariat, and this is whats done to it, cold air, 4 inch exhaust, banks quick turbo assembly, banks intercooler, bd power trans with banks transcommand and a few lil other things, with lift n such, but the main problem i am having is once you get to 80 km/h it seems to fall on its face, cmp wise.. i dont agree with and want knowledge, the previous owner put in a banks six gun, edge ez and some kind of "gold" chip with no name on the ecm.. pulls hard to 80, the barely anything from there, took all chips out.. put superchip tuner in, kinda gutless up till 90 or so, then wakes right up... suggestions on tuning?

#2 ·
Wow previous owner stacked a Six Gun with an Edge EZ???? Both of those are ICP foolers. ROFL.

Sorry, not trying to bust your chops, just whoever owned it before you didn't quite understand 7.3L's.

From the sounds of it, your HPOP is dropping pressure. Happens to everyone running a chip or tuner with a stock HPOP.

A Superchips programmer is ok, and a custom tuned chip might feel a bit better, but you're still going to lose high oil pressure on the top end, making it feel like it's gutless at upper RPM's. Only way around that really is to upgrade to big oil.

#4 ·
I think that gold chip is one of Bills old ones.

#6 ·
Hey... sounds like you have a good foundation with a good tranny, intake, exhaust, intercooler and some stock turbo upgrades....

Dave at PDR in langley is a DP tuner dealer... I would upgrade to some custom tunes and see how it is... if it still falls on its face it might be time to look at big oil....

The truck should go fairly good with all those mods and proper tuning....

#9 ·
I would just take off the 2 old chips and get ya a good custom tuned chip from Matt at Gearhead. He posted above just send him a PM.

#11 ·
Matt, why would this happen? I thought that chips and things like the 10k mod could increase demand for the pump, but the only problem would be that it would not be able to keep up. I did not think it would burn it out. Please school me. Thanks.

#12 ·
If you over-do the 10K type mods it places undue pressure demands on the pump that wears it out much quicker under part throttle conditions. I had a truck that couldn't hold 1800 psi with only 90k on the odometer after running an edge juice on the hottest setting constantly for about 20,000 miles. The owner was religious with oil changes etc.

#13 ·
I'm also from PG. If you want to try a DP tuned truck pm me and we'll take mine for a ride.

#14 ·
I was just talking to Dave at PDR in langley the other day about DP tuner. Think i'm gonna go with them since they have local dealer here in BC. I would like to know what custom tunes the CANADIANS on here are running. And what the customer support was like north of the border?

rocketron...did you order off the web site or from a dealer....(being PDR i guess..)?

seems like the options here in B.C. are BD or PDR. Pretty limited unless your patient and can wait shipping from the states.

Anybody tried Peak Diesel Performance?

#16 ·
I am running tunes from Jody at DP tuner... His customer service is awesome... Sometimes waiting for the parts is a pain... but what can you do it you order parts out of the states????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.