Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

gear oil dripping from front spindles

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  chappy 
#1 ·
I have gear oil seeping out the seals in my front axle. Is this common? I have gear oil dripping just a bit from the sindles. I noticed it on my garage floor. Anyone else have this problem? Is the fix to pull the axles and replace seals?

#4 ·
You might try locking in the hubs and driving it around for a day or two, sometimes they will quit leaking, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The only other way to fix them is the answer given above.

#5 ·
You can say that again. Im going to be changing my axle ratio back to 3.73 here soon, and if you would like to buy just the inner axle seals off of me, PM me i'll let u know when i have the master install kit..(i'll need the full rebuild kit, so i wont need these cause mine are only months old.)

#6 ·
Just to be sure,check the front axle breather tube and make sure its not plugged.Sometimes dirt or rust can get in there and plug the hole not letting it breath.If that happens,it will build pressure and blow oil out the seals.Pull the rubber line off and breath through it and pull the piece threaded in the housing and check for blockage.Usually one seal starts leaking and then the next.Not usually both go bad at the same time.Could be wrong though.

#8 ·
Just wanted to give an update. I checked the vent on the axle, and it had some build-up in it. I cleared it out using some compressed air, and the leak has gone away. Thanks for the help

#10 ·
this is one time out of millions where I lucked out.. usually I get to do it all the hard way... woot

#11 ·
mine is doin the same. where are these vent located exactly?

#12 ·
So should I take a bow for calling that one? :gun: Its always easier to check the simplest things first.Had it happen more then once.And you breather tube is the rubber house comming out of the housing on the axle and going up to the frame where its atached with a clip.Its usually the seal but sometimes you luck out and the breather is plugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.