Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo upgrade options

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
I am interested in upgraded my Garrett GTP38R turbo to something bigger. Its a great turbo, just want to go bigger. Any opinions or experiences with other larger turbos is appriciated..

I have Casserly hybrids and Terminator pumps along with a BTS trans and a bunch of other goodies..

I still need the abilty of having a good towing turbo too since I haul around a 5th wheel toy hauler that is about 14-15K lbs..

I am thinking of a Garrett GT4294R or GT4202

#3 ·
I thought the 38R with hybrids was one of the "hot" setups?

How big are your injectors?

The GT4294R does look like a good candidate, and it'a a BB CHRA!

#9 ·
The JB version can be had for like $900-1100 from a Garrett dealer.
Am I correct in saying that it will bolt onto the stock SD flange and pedestal or no?

I know absolutly nothing about Garrett chargers. I'm just thinking that this might be a cheaper route than going to the Hypermax mount kit...

#13 ·
Rich turned me onto the Schwitzer/BW S400sx-S475 tubro last weekend as a good alternative for a GT4294. At about a third the cost, might be something you want to look at. I haven't used it, but have found them as low as $699. Not sure if any of our sponsors sell them. Doesn't hurt to take a look at them.

Borg Warner S475 Turbocharger
Introducing the new Schwitzer/Borg Warner S475 turbocharger, with its Extended Tip Technology, it sports one of the best looking compressor maps we've ever seen. This Extended Tip Technology together with a Map Width Enhancement Groove allows this turbocharger to support one of the highest pressure ratios available today.

This has the 75mm inducer compressor wheel which is rated at 110 lbs/min, this turbo is designed to work efficiently between 800-1100whp.

Compressor Wheel:
Inducer: 75mm
Exducer: 100mm
Extended Tips:

Turbine Wheel:
Inducer: 96mm
Exducer: 88mm

#15 ·
Not sure how much that T4 version weighs but my T6 BW S400 (80mm) weighed in at 47lbs!!!! It's in my racecar not my truck but, they do seem very well made and easy to use.

You might consider weight support when you go to mock one of these in there.

Dave

#19 ·
S475 is what I run and it's pretty nice. Little laggy but is still responsive once you get moving just a lil bit. Definitely all around better then the sledgehammer with these large sticks.

You'd probably be better off with a 71mm h2e though with 250's....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.