Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

03 engine internal differences

847 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dill 
#1 ·
what is the differences between 03 and 04-up engines? the pistons are different, but what did they change, and which ones are better?Are the cams different? I've heard the 04-up was ground different for better emissions, if so which is better. Also what is the sizes of the valves? I guess what I'm asking is what is the best parts off of all years of 6.0 (and maybe even 6.4) that could be stuck fairly easily into one engine.

#2 ·
I don't think anyone has really disected the motors to that degree. There is always a potential for design changes, take for example the EGR-up pipes. The 03 pipes are quite different in appearance than say the 05 pipes (which have the scoop inside). Even the Job#2 '06 motors are different in their own way.

If you got the time and can read a micrometer please post your results.

#3 ·
hopefully i can do this for ya soon got an 04 engine from my buddies truck gonna tear both my 03 and his 04 down and build them up for each truck

#4 ·
I can't answer all your questions but yes, the 04 cam is different than the 03 cam..

You can go here and look at the 04 update to the 6.0 bible (along with all the others) and see what is different, although I don't think that will tell you all you are wanting to know..

#5 ·
Holy crap! I've looked for that 04 update book forever and havent been able to find it! Now at least I know they are different, But by how much, and what is the better one. I like the part about not putting the updated cam in earlier motors, but don't say anything about early cam in updated motor. hhmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.