Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Upgraded DIY Traction Bars

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  userma3648 
#1 · (Edited)
I put about 75,000 miles on the first set and the heims are pretty worn and the threads were all sloppy. I know when they are not in there the axle wrap is very annoying. Not to mention I am running a rear drive shaft that is slightly longer than it should be. With the bars the slip yolk will never bottom out and I can keep all but 1'' engauged in the spline.

I went to TSC and bought some bigger third links with 3/4'' bolts and 1 1/4'' adjustment threads. These should be good for a hundred thousand or so lol.

I also changed from 38x8mm seamless tubing to 1 1/2'' sch40 pipe. So I went from a little under 1 1/2 od to 2'' od on the bars themselves. Although they never bent I think the larger pipe will be fine even though it is thinner wall. They are lighter than before and beefier imo.

I also changed the design of the frame mount, I made a mistake and it is evident in the picture. The new design is more similar to most aftermarket kits with a through bolt instead of a pin. The nuts were always working loose on the original. I built them to come off and on fast, but I never took them off anyway.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been thinking about building a set for my truck. I have some movement from back there when I take off. Where did you get the rear brackets from?

#11 ·
its definetly stiffer than the weak stockers but for pulling and all around its not bad. the first 2 springs are 1/2 inch material. i definetly like them. if you want nice soft cushy ride buy a car! the truck handles 10 times better with them to. with the 550 springs use 5.5 inch front springs with the factory block,and it gives you a 2 inch ass high its a perfect combo.

#14 ·
Those are nice. Need to look into making myself a set. I have seen the movement and it ain't pretty. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.