Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

best intake

9K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  Dale_I 
#1 ·
whats the best intake of the 7.3

#8 ·
Best? There is no "best", because that term can be relative to "best price", "best performance", "best filtration", "best noise reduction", "best blah blah blah". Then you have the intake setups that incorporate a portion of each of those categories for a good all-around balance.

If you want cheap and easy, and don't care about noise, then go with a Tymar or DIY 6637. It works and filters well.

If you want middle price, quiet, and excellent filtration, but don't have a lot of power, get the Ford AIS.

If your wallet is fat and you don't care about price, like good looks, excellent performance, and good filtering, go with an AFE Stage II with the PG7 filter media.

Of course, there are other brands out there too with similar offerings. Take your pick.

Probably the greatest consensus you'll find on this and other forums is a general all-out hatred of K&N. There are a few people with K&N's and have no problems, but there are others who have had issues, or heard about so many issues that they avoid them all together. I've personally had a bad experience with the K&N drop-in style filter that fits in the stock airbox. I guess "fit" is the wrong term to use, since K&N can't make a filter that properly fits and seals in the stock intake box. That's my rant contribution to the thread.

I've also personally run the 6637 and the AFE Stage II w/PG7. Performance, EGT's, filtration, etc I can't tell a difference between the two. What I did notice a difference in is the noise from the intake. The AFE is still louder than stock, but much quieter than the DIY filters. The AFE also looks cleaner/bling-bling/whatever under the hood.

#9 ·
The AFE II is probably the best and that's what I have. The down side is the noise. I just took mine off and put the stock setup back on with a Purolator filter to quiet things down a bit. I haven't noticed any performance loss or boost loss, but with the 38r, I peg the 35 lb gauge anyways. I need to buy a 60 lb gauge and then I can report the difference in boost.

#11 ·
That's a nice setup, and looks like something I would want to build if I actually possessed the skills to do something as neat and clean as that. You get the advantages of an enclosed box so that you don't hear the excessive noises, but at the same time you retained the flow benefits that you get from many other aftermarket intakes.

#14 ·
Ok, I must report....with a 38r, a stock a/f box and a new purolator blue filter, it will suck the filter minder thing shut. I think I will do something similar to what Andy has.

#15 ·
well its goin on my show truck im thinkin about the afe or s&b

#16 ·
The free ones. :poke: I have the AFE II because at the time that was the only one that would fit on a early 99.(before I found powerstroke sites)

#18 ·
I prefer the AIS because I want ambient air not engine compartment (hot) air. Just my $.02

#19 ·
FWIW, with my AFE Stage 2 and Zoodad mod, my AIT are exactly the same as the outside temps while cruising down the road.

#20 ·
yeh,pocket has it right.For cheap,I like the tymer diy one with a filter cover.Looks awesome.

#22 ·
I didn't know you get pick one up with a cover, does it still get good air flow...anyone have a picture of this...I need an intake bad, have a K &N drop in filter in the truck right now from previous owner. I'm thinkin DIY tymar open element filter

#28 ·
hydroscopic = absorbs water

Why on earth would you want your filter to absorb water???

Bill.

#25 ·
i like my S&B. but all i've run is that and a modified air box.

#30 ·
Did i miss something??? Comments about the intake being to loud??? The sound of the intake/turbo/exhaust is half the reason we all bought diesels right? Sh!t i did the foil delete just to hear somemore whistle...

I have the DIY intake and dont have any complaints.

#32 ·
Performance wise through the normal operating range of our engines(not specifically WOT )the AFE Stage II will win hands down.
Filtration wise can get into a big debate, no doubt the big Donaldson filters do a good job of suppling gobs of clean air but face it they are just plain ugly under the hood.
Money aside best bang for the best all around performing filter is the AFE stage II with Proguard 7.

#33 ·
Performance wise through the normal operating range of our engines(not specifically WOT )the AFE Stage II will win hands down.
Filtration wise can get into a big debate, no doubt the big Donaldson filters do a good job of suppling gobs of clean air but face it they are just plain ugly under the hood.
Money aside best bang for the best all around performing filter is the AFE stage II with Proguard 7.
For looks...maybe..old saying goes something like....chrome it:poke:

Cary

#35 ·
Isn't it a huge plus to be able to get a new filter anywhere? Something happens, every truck shop worth anything have a 6637 sitting around. That's why I switched, laid the truck on its side and a lot of the oil came up through the turbo and out of the intake, soaking my K&N filter.

It haven't run the AFE, so I am not trying to take anything away from it. I do know that when I switched the 6637 dropped my EGT's 75 - 100 degrees over my properly maintained K&N stage II.

#37 ·
Granted I'm not an intake engineer by no means. But I would think that most the major brands (AFE, S&B, AEM, ect.) would only provide negligable gains over each other.

#38 ·
S&B is the way to go... ive had K&N and the AFE and didnt like either.. S&B filter is huge and u can hear it really well in the cab something you couldnt do with the previous 2 i had..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.