Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Clean smoke free performance

6K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  HotRodTractor 
#1 ·
Black smoke is cool at the track, but not cool on the street. We are now in a position to reduce and eliminate smoke from our trucks. So with that said, what would everyone do to design a smoke free 350-400hp from our 7.3's. Please include all parts and why you choose them. Maybe this thread can help us in the eye of the non diesel public.

#4 ·
My setup in my sig is almost smoke free. on the street in the daily driver setting. Matt does a damn good job with his tunes

#6 ·
Yeah alot of our members in California need too be careful of blowing smoke cause its just one more thing for use to be ####ed with about it

#8 ·
I believe he was.. And about a year ago a groupf of friends and i were pulled over cause we had excessive smoke coming from the trucks lol

#9 ·
Mine is fairly smoky at times... even in my 80E... but daily dirving less than 50% throttle its smoke free....

#10 ·
It can be done..... You can make an 80% nozzled hybrid be almost smoke-free but there is room for improvement still for the guys that have the drop in turbos. I have some things in the works to improve upon the tunes I have now. Let's just say they will be raising the "bar" on the 7.3 tuning (that's your hint). Hopefully I can have this available in the next few months.

#12 ·
No, there is hardware limitation on the trucks. Guys that run more than 25lbs of boost HAVE TO overfuel right now at some point to get the boost up. I am working on something to allow linear fueling up to a higher boost level. Sadly, this will only be for the super duties and not the OBS trucks.

#20 ·
My tunes from Matt smoke very litte. I am really impressed. He does an awesome job.

#22 ·
i can drive my truck smoke free as long as i don't but my foot into it even on the 140 smoke

the most smoke i'd get driving is shifting into od being easy on the peddle

#31 ·
Higher-rated MAP sensor with programming to eliminate 24-ish PSI de-fuel?
I always wondered why we had to throw a regulator in the MAP line when other engines have been just programming out the limitation and using higher-pressure MAPs..... Heck, our TDI has a 3.5bar MAP and the programming for it, why can't a SD?
Is that what you're up to?

#39 ·
You need a tight turbo and good programming.

I don't have the tight turbo but Jody Tipton will be here next week to try and program all of my smoke out.

I really no longer care about where I end up hp wise, I just want very little to no smoke. If I end up w/ only 400 rwhp than so be it.

#42 ·
I think the best way to do this the like the Procharger and Turbo set up that Empire did for Imelmo's 6.0L. Instant spool off idle and then big boost from the turbo for the top end.

#48 ·
This is why my DD truck has compounds and one of the reasons why my project truck will have two stages of forced induction. The smoke was "cool" 5 years ago.... now everyone does it. I remember laying some thick ass smoke down back in the day especially when testing and trying something.... Now the only place for it is at the track. Its a complete waste on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.