Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Stinking fuel filter cap

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  RescueF250 
#1 ·
So, today I did alot of maintenance on my truck. Oil change, changed oil in rear end, changed my fuel filters..... well changed the one on the frame. The one ontop of the motor I couldn't get the cap off. Seems the last person who took the cap off decided to over tighten it, and cracked the top where you put a wrench. As soon as I put a half inch ratchet in there and tried to turn it, part of the cap snapped off. Seeing as how the dealership was closed, I wasn't about to try and get that cap off for fear of breaking it.

Went out with Mom tonight for an early Mother's Day dinner. Drove the the truck there and back. Pull in the driveway, shut the truck off, and immediately start to see smoke. Popped the hood, and there is diesel EVERYWHERE! Ran and got a waterhose to try and wash some of it off for fear of a fire. I cycled the key on, and theres a stream shooting out of the top of the filter cap. So now, I get to stay home from work Monday to get that thing off and get a new one from the dealership. I got a light and looked under the truck.... there is diesel from the engine to the rear end. There's no tellin how much I actually lost. The insulation under the hood was completely soaked in it. Not something I wanted to find at 9:15 at night!! I'm just a little frustrated right now! :mad:

Sorry for the long winded rant. :blah::blah::blah:

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you serious! As popular as these trucks are, they don't even keep that on the shelf? I sure hope they have this one. I can't be taking several days off work waiting on them to order one.

#4 ·
sorry for your problem..i run into it fairly often being that i service the fuel filters on a regular basis. for some reason they seem to tighten up over the 15k mile service interval, and because of spliting a few caps myself, i put a 24mm wrench on the plastic nut part, along with the 1/2 in. extension to take the cap off without any adverse effects....its just another engineering marval to make you cuss and cost you money..yay ford..

#6 ·
I have one, damn near brand new,...sitting in my garage,...do you need it?

Find another car,..drive you ass over here,...and we can meet up and have a beer....

I don't care what time it is,...2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning,....whatever....anything to help someone out!

Cause that's how I roll....LOL

#8 ·
Ya if Tanks has one replace it with an aftermarket one. Same thing happen to me, Take a flat head screw driver and dig it in, tap it with a hammer to get it to spin loose takes a while but best way to take it off now.

#9 ·
Well Tank, if you weren't in LA, I just might do that! I really appreciate the offer though!

I'm getting with the dealership in the morning. Even if they have to order it, it won't be a big deal. The wife doesn't work tomorrow, so she can take me to work and pick me up afterwards. Plus, 2 guys I work with live within 5 miles of me, so the ride to/from work isn't the issue.

I'm just glad it happened close to home, and not on the road somewhere. And not to mention, no fires! I'm serious when I say there was diesel EVERYWHERE! I'm sure ya'll can imagine though... that much pressure. I probably lost a few gallons of diesel once it cracked. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have it on the shelf. Now, the price for it... I fear I'll be in for a shock when they tell me that!

#10 ·
By the way, yall mentioned an aftermarket one.... where can I find one?

#17 ·
Called dealership at 7 this morning when they opened. They had 2 on the shelf. They are only about 2 miles from my house. Went and got it, put it on, and was on my way to work at 7:45! Turned out to be nothing to it at all. Well, besides the $56 price tag! It's just plastic for cryin out loud!!!

She's all back together and running like a top again. Now, if I can just get the smell out diesel out of the cab. It's pretty strong in there. Had to run the defrost on the way to work, so it filled it up good. May just take the insulation out from under the hood.... it was saturated in it.

Tank, man thanks again for the offer! I'll have to get myself one of those billet ones. Besides being so much cheaper, they just look pretty sweet!

On a side note.... they told me at the dealership when I bought this truck that they did a full tuneup... changed all fluids, all filters, etc. By all, I figured they meant ALL! Those fuel filters were filthy! Both of them looked like oil filters when I took them out they were so black and nasty. The fluid in the rear end.... yea, it looked like tar. I guess I'm too used to the old days where if someone tells you they are going to do something, or that they did do something, they did it! I guess those days are long gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.