Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

allison swap in a OBS or SD

18K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Cascade 
#1 ·
has anyone out there done this i would love to have an allison in my OBS i think it would be awesome!..or even in my dads SD would be nice and if anyone has post pics of the shifter on the column i wanna see it!

#2 ·
I don't know off the top of my head of anyone that has done it mated to a PSD...scott at destroked would have been envolved if somebody did though. Scott is running a Allison behind his CR Cummins so he would be the guy for parts and information.
I know that PCS had a controler and harness coming out for one...it maybe out by now. Awhile back I asked Scott about it and he said it should be out soon. Allison uses a computer seperate from the ECM and they need to communicate with each other. I really dont now if you have to run the TCM along with the PCS controler to do it. But Scott would know things like this.
Also, PPE has done a good amount of custom Allison work too so you may also want to drop them a line.
Brent.

#6 ·
yes..and just because id like to do somehting different...i would lave to be able to shift the gear on the fly

#5 ·
snoel123...I haven not been on Destroked site for a while...I always just call and order the parts I need. I checked out what you stated and Thanks for clarifying the Allison stand alone controler is infact a TCM and harness made up by Scott.
I was confused and thought his unit which he sells is the PCS one...
Destroked clears it up with this message...

NOTE: We would like to clarify an issue with this system. There has been some wrong information posted on the web. This controller is not PCS's stand alone Allison controller.

So I guess the TCM is used.

Brent

#7 ·
I just purchased a 6 speed Allison, and have placed the order for the adapter plate and billet flywheel to put in my current project truck. I have the wiring and TCM already from an LBZ Dmax that I have had sitting in the shop for a while on a pallet for a different project :evil

I'll let you know how it goes over the course of the next few months.

Jason

#8 ·
pease do!...in your SD?.....and are you puting the shifter witht eh gear shifter button on it in there too?...thats what i wanna see bad!!..and i hope it works out becasue im wanting to do this!

#14 ·
Pretty sure they are the only ones you can go to a manual style valve body. The old MT40's used to have a manual/automatic shifter that would go 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.
Old cast iron dinosaurs though without much in the way of adaption pieces.
The 1000/1500 series would most likely be the way to go.

#18 ·
i dont have one yet...! but a friend does out of a project and he said he would sell it to me.

#22 ·
I put the Suncoast tailshaft housing on mine and had it drilled to match the transfer case in my Excursion. It's gone up from $1,100 to around $1,900 recently, but worth it. It's MASSIVE and gets you away from the cracking that the rear housing is prone to. At least get the bracket that distributes the load.

You will also have to have a reluctor wheel installed in the transfer case output housing along with an output speed sensor port through the side to run the Allison. I bought a transfer case from Transfercase Express with the work done. Cost was about $1,000 exchange. Great people by the way- they sent me the screw in style sensors a couple weeks ago for just the cost of shipping. Note: In case you are rolling your own, I believe the Superduty stick shift transfer case spine matches the Allison output shaft but the automatic transfer case for a superduty does NOT fit the Allison.

Programming: The Allison TCM can be run as a stand alone unit. That's how they are set up on motorhomes with Cummins engines and whatever else that has a PCM that doesn't speak the Allison protocol (sae J-1939?). The only "info" it must have from the engine is voltage between 2.5 and 4.5 from the accelerator position and allison sells a throttle position sensor if you need it. There is an analog input in the TCM for using a potentiometer (google it) to dial down the shift "harshness" if you just have the TCM programmed for full pressure shifts that will no doubt be enough to shatter your teeth, especially on down shifts.

The downfall of the gen III 5 speed Allison is the 4-5 shift: You must NEVER allow that shift under full power. Let up on the throttle for an instant and let it shift, otherwise the TCM will reprogram itself and allow more and more slippage and you'll burn up the clutches. If you do all that and figure out the rest of the wiring, and it's info that is available though Allison, you don't need the Destroked kit to run it as a stand alone. I don't have the instruction sheets with me in South Carolina, so you'll have to go an authorized Allison dealer for it, but one of the appendixes for the 1000/2000 series tells you everything you need to hook up, and it's all on one of the two plugs.

A word of warning about running a stock transfer case that originally fit a 1000/2000: They had an internal problem with some rubbing that rubbed a hole right through the case by 100,000 miles.

Shift kits and ATS co-pilots aren't necessarily compatible, iirc, call ATS to find out for sure. Also, early generation Co-pilots are not good. ATS will tell you the details if you ask. Mine is a 5 speed with a shift kit, and no, it's not running yet. I ran out of time again.

I know some of that applies to your set up and the rest is for the guys who are considering running an Allison.

clam out.

#23 ·
Hey Clam! Nice to see you around here.

Note: In case you are rolling your own, I believe the Superduty stick shift transfer case spine matches the Allison output shaft but the automatic transfer case for a superduty does NOT fit the Allison.
Negatory on that comment above though. Its a Dodge manual shift t-case that I has the correct spline - not the Ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.